The Urgency of Recognition: Female Buddhist Monastics in BD

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
cooran

The Urgency of Recognition: Female Buddhist Monastics in BD

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

An article about the almost impossible attempt to establish the Bhikkhuni Sangha in Bangladesh.

The Urgency of Recognition: Female Buddhist Monastics in Bangladesh
http://newlotus.buddhistdoor.com/en/news/d/40044

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mkoll

Re: The Urgency of Recognition: Female Buddhist Monastics in

Post by Mkoll »

Thanks for the story.

Brave women, fighing for gender equality. Good for them.

I like Ven. Amritananda's words:
“I cannot understand what is the problem with these bhikkhus regarding women ordination. Why should we try to deny the right of women given by the Buddha himself. I talked to few monks regarding the matter, the logics they have shown to me were irrational and rubbish. They think, if women get ordination, Sangha will get corrupted, I really cannot understand this reason. Good and bad people exist irrespective of gender differences. If each section respects the Vinaya and Dhamma, possess faith towards the Buddha and sincere in his/her spiritual commitment, I think we can build much better society. The problem is these monks are not concerning the safety of Buddha Sasana, but cannot overcome male domination mentality” (Oct. 21, 2013).
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa