Yoga at WPN

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
yureee123

Yoga at WPN

Post by yureee123 »

Hello everyone! =)

Recently i watched the documentary "our life is like our breath", and in one scene the monk protagonist on the documentary appears doing some kind of asana. And then i start wondering.. is it allowed to the monks in WPN? and in the others forest monasteries?

I'm asking specially in Wat pah nanachat because i'm planning to stay there soon, and due my lack in stretching that ruins my sitting position, the yoga practice has been a good tool to solve this question. Would be great if it would be possible. =)

Thanks
culaavuso

Re: Yoga at WPN

Post by culaavuso »

It seems to be allowed in at least one monastery of the Thai Forest Tradition:
[url=http://www.oberlin.edu/alummag/spring2004/feat_monk_04.html]Being A Monk: A Conversation with Thanissaro Bhikkhu[/url] by Rich Orloff wrote: What else do monks do for exercise?
A lot of sweeping up. Some Western monks and modern Thai monks do yoga in their rooms.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Yes, I've heard several monks mention that they do it. Though it may be best to do it in the privacy of your kuti.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

It might look a bit odd doing this in public - as if you want to show your awesome headstand :D - so in your kuti it's fine like goofaholix mentioned. And yes I know this documentary and you are right. You have to look after your body and yoga is helpful to counter certain bodily pain, so it's a good thing. But don't get attached to your daily yoga schedule ;)

Basically as far as I understand it through the experiences of visiting WPN and other monasteries that are related to it, is to not try to appear special or different in public. So there are certain Korwat rules around the proper way of handling this and that, or in the english monasteries for example you have to wear the jacket in public under your robe as far as I know. It's about harmony.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
yureee123

Post by yureee123 »

Oh, that is cool. :)

Doing only in the kuti won't be a problem. Even here, in the city, i don't like to do this in public...

Thanks all for the answers!

_/\_
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Sokehi wrote:It might look a bit odd doing this in public - as if you want to show your awesome headstand :D.
Especially as forest monks wear sarongs and no underwear.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah