Pants for stay at a monastery.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
PsychedelicSunSet

Pants for stay at a monastery.

Post by PsychedelicSunSet »

I'm going to be staying at Abhayagiri, and other monasteries this summer. I'm not sure what kind of pants would be best to bring. I'm thinking I'll be needing something that is cool, as it's going to be fairly hot during the day, that have enough give to be able to meditate in, but that I can also potentially do work outdoors in. I'm kind of at a loss for what would work, and thought that the collective experience of DW'ers would be able to provide an answer. What kind of pants have you all brought and found worked well for staying at monasteries (not just as a retreat, but where you're doing work as well.)

:anjali:
Metta
Nicro

Re: Pants for stay at a monastery.

Post by Nicro »

Your best bet would be Thai fisherman pants or a sarong would be good.
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Dickies Work Pants are sturdy enough to do outdoor work but can also be comfortable for sitting meditation if sized appropriately. Something similar is probably sold in the UK. It's probably best to find a physical store to make sure they fit comfortably for all purposes rather than buying them online.
PsychedelicSunSet

Nicro wrote:Your best bet would be Thai fisherman pants or a sarong would be good.

I'll be bringing some Thai Fisherman pants, but I don't think they'll be best for outdoor work.

Metta
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

When I was there about a year ago, they provided work clothes for us. They have a stash of them. I don't remember if they had pants for sure but I think they did.

I'm sure they'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Nicro wrote:Your best bet would be Thai fisherman pants or a sarong would be good.
A sarong is great! :twothumbsup: If you haven't tried one, you should. The most comfortable clothing ever! I don't know if people wear it at Abhayagiri but if you're worried about standing out, at least it makes great sleepwear.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Most comfy, practical and useful pants I ever had at the monastery: military surplus M-65 pants, in black tropical weight fabric.
Comfy, quite baggy with lots of room for sitting, hard wearing, black to hide the dirt, and millions of pockets.
I'd still be using them if I could get them in tropical-weight white, but all the white M-65s I've seen are for extremely cold weather use.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
PsychedelicSunSet

James the Giant wrote:Most comfy, practical and useful pants I ever had at the monastery: military surplus M-65 pants, in black tropical weight fabric.
Comfy, quite baggy with lots of room for sitting, hard wearing, black to hide the dirt, and millions of pockets.
I'd still be using them if I could get them in tropical-weight white, but all the white M-65s I've seen are for extremely cold weather use.

I ended up getting some summer-weight ABU trousers. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be be in a lot of hot/foresty/mountainy areas this summer, and I think they'll serve me well for doing work and mediating in those kinda locales.

Metta
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Martial art 'gi' pants are good for meditation and work. Most I've seen have a gusseted crotch, which is what I love most about them. Material thickness, type of fit and color varies. Easy to find used online.

Negatives: No pockets, unless you make one.
Ben

Post by Ben »

What I would wear are some of my guiding trousers. They are modern light-weight quick-dry fabric. They are comfortable and functional.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..