On the nature of genitals

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Jeffrey

On the nature of genitals

Post by Jeffrey »

I'm sure the topic has grabbed the attention of at least a few, especially here in the section on monasticism. Believe it or not, it comes directly from a 2013 article by Bhikkhu Analayo, "The Legality of Bhikkhuni Ordination."

According to a subsequent section of the Cullavagga (X.17), female
candidates who wanted to become bhikkhunīs felt ashamed when being
formally interrogated by bhikkhus regarding their suitability for higher
ordination (Vin II 271). Such interrogation involves questions about the
nature of their genitals and their menstruation, so naturally women in a
traditional setting are not comfortable discussing such matters with
men, let alone with bhikkhus. The Cullavagga reports that when the Buddha
was informed of this problem, he gave a ruling to amend this situation.
He prescribed that the bhikkhus should ordain female candidates
who have previously undergone the formal interrogation in front of the
community of bhikkhunīs. These are the key elements from the Cullavagga
account.

My intention is not to be salacious. I'm simply curious. What information regarding genitalia is required for ordination? Is a similar inquiry made of male ordinands?

http://blogs.dickinson.edu/buddhistethi ... rdination/
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: On the nature of genitals

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

Well, I do know the Pope has to be hoisted up on a chair with part of the seat missing, in order to prove he has male "equipment" and is not a female in disguise, as happened here....

http://www.dreamscape.com/morgana/popejoan.htm

I will add that this practice has long-since been discontinued.
It seems in this case, our Catholic "brethren" are more 'up-to-date' in such matters than our Buddhist monks.

However, it is possible, from what I hear, that such regulations were in fact later additions to the 'scriptures', and were held to be more in line with later chauvinistic thinking, rather than being direct instructions from the Buddha.

If Enlightenment is applicable equally to both genders, I don't see how having different genitals can be a factor in such a quest.

But hey, that's just me.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Jeffrey

Re: On the nature of genitals

Post by Jeffrey »

Agreed on enlightenment, but am curious to know what exactly is being investigated here. Are they looking only for men posing as women? Hermaphrodites? Mutilations? Deformities?