Ordination without practice.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
K.Dhamma

Ordination without practice.

Post by K.Dhamma »

By practice I am curious. Has anyone ever ordained and never attended a retreat?

(edit: i mean, ordained, and did not attend a retreat prior to ordaining)
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
daverupa

Re: Ordination without practice.

Post by daverupa »

I sought ordination having never attended a retreat, but then I used to hike around wilderness areas in a neo-John Muir sort of mode, so there are "non-traditional" retreats which can perhaps motivate ordination intentions.

But this wasn't 'without practice' by any means.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

I was not into retreats before I became a monk. Nor have I attended any retreats (in the usual sense, taught by monks for groups of laypeople) since becoming a monk. In the forest tradition, meditation is more something integrated into the daily routine, although there might be times where most other activities are suspended and one is encouraged to do more meditation than normally. Meditation is mainly something one does individually, with only the morning and evening sessions done together with a group.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
kmath

Post by kmath »

I became an anagarika without ever attending a retreat. In your daily life as a monastic, you don't meditate as much as someone would on retreat.

:anjali:
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

thank you all for the great replies. :) I hope to ordain soon, hopefully and I have people telling me I should do a retreat first. I don't feel I need to attend a retreat prior and I was just curious. Thank you.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
robertk

Post by robertk »

You could check the suttas and get an idea of how many laypeople in the Buddhas time went on retreats before ordaining.