Timezones and the Vinaya

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sokehi

Timezones and the Vinaya

Post by Sokehi »

I was quite often wondering how the vinaya is handled nowadays if it comes to travelling through timezones. So if a monk travels via plane for example what would be the right time to eat? Maybe one of the veneralbe ones could share some light on this, thank you very much.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Dhammanando

Re: Timezones and the Vinaya

Post by Dhammanando »

Sokehi wrote:I was quite often wondering how the vinaya is handled nowadays if it comes to travelling through timezones. So if a monk travels via plane for example what would be the right time to eat? Maybe one of the veneralbe ones could share some light on this, thank you very much.
If the monk understands calculus then he can figure it out from the data on websites like this one:

http://www.howmanyhours.com/flight_time ... angkok.php

If he doesn't then he's in shtook. He'll just have to fast. :lol:
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

The Thai Mahathera-samakhom council has made some ruling on this, allowing monks on long-haul intercontinental flights to have a meal regardless of the light/darkness outside.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

gavesako wrote:The Thai Mahathera-samakhom council has made some ruling on this, allowing monks on long-haul intercontinental flights to have a meal regardless of the light/darkness outside.
Thank you very much Bhante, exactly what I was looking for
:anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

gavesako wrote:The Thai Mahathera-samakhom council has made some ruling on this, allowing monks on long-haul intercontinental flights to have a meal regardless of the light/darkness outside.
Whether they have or not, it is still an offence to eat after midday (when the sun is at its zenith).

In practice, even on long haul flights, a monk will not have long too to wait without any meals. Monks often have to wait up to 23 hours between meals anyway, so waiting for 36 hours is not especially difficult. One can take honey, boiled sweets, etc., as seven-day medicine, to appease one's hunger.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

It seems that Rohitassa devaputta, during his inter-galactic flight, was making re-fueling stops to have snacks and drinks on the way:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... than.html‎
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations