Act Normal - Ajahn Dhammanado's life

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Act Normal - Ajahn Dhammanado's life

Postby pilgrim » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:48 am

The documentary on Ajahn Dhammanando "Act Normal" has been released for public viewing .
http://vimeo.com/27590176#

Oops, I realised it was released 2 years ago, so possibly this might have posted here earlier.
pilgrim

Re: Act Normal - Ajahn Dhammanado's life

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:55 am

Greetings,

Nice to see it's back online... at one point it was streaming directly from the director's site, but then it became 'pay per view'... then I don't know what happened.

It's a good and inspiring watch, and whilst I understand that a lot of the Dhamma content that was recorded for the documentary ended up on the cutting room floor, what did survive the cut provide some useful insights into the monastic life.

:anjali:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby plwk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:12 am

Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby LG2V » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:10 pm

Thank you for providing a link to this documentary, pilgrim. I had never known of it before until I viewed this thread. It was a good documentary which provided an edifying perspective into monastic life and it's contrast with lay life. I am considering monastic ordination, and it has been good for me to receive a closer view into the life and experience of the contrast between monastic and lay life, especially from a Westerner's perspective. Thank you.

Ajahn Dhammanando, thank you for openly providing insight into your experiences as a layman as well as your prior experiences with and subsequent return to the monkhood. I appreciate your efforts and your willingness to share your experiences with the world. I wish you the best, sir. :anjali:

Metta,
LG2V
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
LG2V

Postby Annis » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:48 pm

Thank you, pilgrim! It may be interesting! :D
Annis

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life