theravada monastery! Please help!

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
lotus flower

theravada monastery! Please help!

Post by lotus flower »

Dear forum members!
i would like go to a buddhist monastery in the near future as a buddhist nun. i know Amaravati Monastery and i think it is a very good monastery. but i know it: they (the monastery) want two times i go to the monastery before i will live in the monastery. If i wanna be a female monk, they (the monastery) want i live two short times in the monastery because they want get to know me. after two times they adjudicate about i am living in the monastery as a female monk or no.
i have got a problem: maybe i can't go two times to the monastery because i have got work in my country and i don't want lost my work! i very need work. i need money.
i don't know informations about other monasteries. i just know informations about Amaravati. i would like know other monasteries who don't want i go to the monastery for two times before i will live in the monastery. i would like the monastery want just one time before i will live in the monastery.
i don't know two times is a buddhist tradition or no???? if two times is a tradition i think all monastery want i go to two times to the monastery before i will living in the monastery..... it would be a big problem. :(
i would like just one time before i will living in the monastery
thank you very much for the replies!
Lotus flower
We found the teaching of the Buddha. Be grateful for it... We can meditate... Be grateful for it... We know that this universe is the samsara. Be grateful for it... We have THE CHANCE TO ATTAIN NIBBANA. Be grateful for it... :buddha1: :buddha2:
daverupa

Re: theravada monastery! Please help!

Post by daverupa »

I wonder how ready you are to drop the householder lifestyle for monastic endeavors if you are unable to attend a couple of extended visits. If you drink only water, for example, & make other lifestyle changes first, then saving money for this purpose shouldn't be a problem; if you have sick days or vacation days saved up at work, these visits are then easily accomplished.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
JacquelineR

Post by JacquelineR »

I understand your situation completely: not every country has good conditions for workers, in some countries it's easier to save up and take time off than others.

There is an international list here of organisations supporting Buddhist nuns: http://www.bhikkhuni.net/directory.

It may be possible to find an organisation closer to home & more supportive of nuns than Amaravati. Many nuns have left Amaravati in recent years. You can read their stories at http://awakeningtruth.org/teaching/writ ... of-support and make up your own mind.

Each of the organisations listed in the directory above will have their own requirements (which don't normally include visiting twice).
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

It might be worth investigating the requirements at Santi Forest Monastery to see if it's a better fit for your needs.