Can Novice Monks Teach?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
P0int

Can Novice Monks Teach?

Post by P0int »

Can novice monks teach?

If they are able, under what conditions can they teach?
May you always find peace when remembering the good deeds you have done.

Be Observant.
Speak Truth.
Indrajala

Re: Can Novice Monks Teach?

Post by Indrajala »

I don't see why not. A layperson who understands Dhamma should be permitted to teach either formally or informally.

There's no need for elitism.
Dennenappelmoes

Post by Dennenappelmoes »

From what I've heard Ajahn Chah used to appoint monks at random to give the talks, as a learning experience for everyone.
Alobha

Post by Alobha »

P0int wrote:Can novice monks teach?

If they are able, under what conditions can they teach?

See the Udayi Sutta
I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying at Kosambi, in Ghosita's Park. Now at that time Ven. Udayin was sitting surrounded by a large assembly of householders, teaching the Dhamma. Ven. Ananda saw Ven. Udayin sitting surrounded by a large assembly of householders, teaching the Dhamma, and on seeing him went to the Blessed One. On arrival, he bowed down to the Blessed One and sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Ven. Udayin, lord, is sitting surrounded by a large assembly of householders, teaching the Dhamma."

"It's not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when five qualities are established within the person teaching. Which five?

"[1] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak step-by-step.'

"[2] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak explaining the sequence [of cause & effect].'

"[3] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak out of compassion.'

"[4] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak not for the purpose of material reward.'

"[5] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak without hurting myself or others.'[1]

"It's not easy to teach the Dhamma to others, Ananda. The Dhamma should be taught to others only when these five qualities are established within the person teaching."
Also see: Kathavatthu Sutta.

No direct restriction there. However, as far as I know, it's common that the monks with the most monastic years on their belts take care of teaching the Dhamma in formal settings, as it requires a lot of skill. Novice monks are not forbidden to teach the Dhamma and when one asks them something that they know (in an informal setting for example) and the answer would be of benefit to you, then they will offer their words, too. At least that's my experience.
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

Among the laity, the householder Citta was appointed by the Buddha as the lay disciple foremost in expounding the Dhamma.
In several occasions in the suttas, Citta even taught the dhamma to other monks.

In simple logic if a lay disciple can teach the dhamma then a novice can too.

:anjali:
P0int

Post by P0int »

Thank you friends for sharing resources and your thoughts.

During my continued search for answers I found the Dantabhumi Sutta.
It gives an account of a novice monk, Aciravata, teaching Prince Jayasena.

Many blessings to you all.
:anjali:
May you always find peace when remembering the good deeds you have done.

Be Observant.
Speak Truth.