england

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
befriend

england

Post by befriend »

can i ordain for like a decade or so in england? in an ajahn chah branch. is abhayagiri in america only for monks who want to ordain for life or is it possible to temporarily ordain there? thank you, metta, befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: england

Post by DNS »

I think you could ordain for a semi-long time of 10 years at Abhayagiri, but best to check with them directly to make sure.

Why only a decade? I ask, because you may not be able to put "Buddhist monk" for what you were doing for the past 10 years on your resume when applying for positions when you return to lay life; unless of course you are applying for some lay position at a Buddhist organization, IMS, Spirit Rock, etc.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

befriend wrote:can i ordain for like a decade or so in england? in an ajahn chah branch. is abhayagiri in america only for monks who want to ordain for life or is it possible to temporarily ordain there? thank you, metta, befriend
so long as you are accepted when you disrobe is up to you really. although where you ordain may have more to do with Visa.... than anything else in some cases.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
befriend

Post by befriend »

do you need visa for england, i am from U.S.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
cooran

Post by cooran »

This might be of interest:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/americanservices/?p=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---