A Monk's Name

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Unrul3r

A Monk's Name

Post by Unrul3r »

Hello all! :namaste:

I was wondering how the naming process goes and who chooses a monks name. Does the preceptor give it to him? Does he himself choose?

I've also read monks can change names from the pabbajja to upasampada. Are there two choices (one for pabbajja and a second choice for upasampada)?

Metta to all! :sage:
Cittasanto

Re: A Monk's Name

Post by Cittasanto »

Unrul3r wrote:Hello all! :namaste:

I was wondering how the naming process goes and who chooses a monks name. Does the preceptor give it to him? Does he himself choose?

I've also read monks can change names from the pabbajja to upasampada. Are there two choices (one for pabbajja and a second choice for upasampada)?

Metta to all! :sage:
The preceptor chooses although they may already have a name from another preceptor (as in the pabbajja & upasampada)
the name can change and there have been monastics who changed their name at a later date with the preceptors consent.

There are certain rules followed in some communities although it may not always be followed. I am not sure of the precise rules but each letter is ascribed to a day of the week, and the day of the week someone is born is how the first letter of the name is chosen by. To my understanding of it it is something similar to simple numerology.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Unrul3r

Re: A Monk's Name

Post by Unrul3r »

Cittasanto wrote:The preceptor chooses although they may already have a name from another preceptor (as in the pabbajja & upasampada)
the name can change and there have been monastics who changed their name at a later date with the preceptors consent.

There are certain rules followed in some communities although it may not always be followed. I am not sure of the precise rules but each letter is ascribed to a day of the week, and the day of the week someone is born is how the first letter of the name is chosen by. To my understanding of it it is something similar to simple numerology.
I see. Thank you for the reply!

:namaste: