To those who have ordained or plan to ordain

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Re: To those who have ordained or plan to ordain

Postby fearandloving » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:42 pm

While California does have deserts (Death Valley for one), Wat Metta is located in an avocado orchard in semi-rural Southern Cal...

Yes, and it's wonderful there! I visited this last april, and do think I would enjoy it there. I did have an inkling of a thought that I would ordain there one day... I do however feel much more at home and content in deep woods with tall trees, bears, foxes, and deer, snow, etc. I encountered three rattlesnakes at Wat Metta, :o I felt a little out of my element. But... Maybe going out of my element would serve me better than staying where I'm comfortable? I also know that my family would be much happier if I was only 2 hours away, and they could visit, instead of across the country.
fearandloving

Postby sekha silapada » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Monasticism has been on my mind since I was 16 (I'm 24 now). I remember a few years (~4) ago at the Bhavana society I was talking to Ayya Sudhamma about when to ordain, and she told me something which was seemed very obvious and straight-forward at the time, but only now a few years later fully grasped the truth of what she was saying. She said it is often best to ordain as soon as possible, because as time goes on life gets in the way- you need to pay off student debt, you have the desire to use the degree you spent 4 years working on, you find a spouse, you have children, etc etc. At the time I thought "well, with me it'll be different! I just want to see what college is like/gain the experience college gives, plus I need time to figure out how to face my family about my desire to ordain. After college I'll just spend 2-3 years working, and hopefully by then I'll have the courage to ordain in the face of overall family disapproval. Then I'll ordain."

Obviously, Ven. Sudhamma was right, life got in the way. Over time I became more entrenched in maya, to the point where today it is less feasible in most regards to ordain than it was when I was 19/20. However, I'm in a position where I have few responsibilities to take care of (primarily student debt), so I hope that within a few years I'll have everything paid off and will then ordain. Right now I get to use this time to prepare, for example by developing the paramitas and working to destroy my mental hindrances.

As for where I'd like to eventually ordain, probably Aranya Bodhi, as I feel the teachers there are quite insightful. If I have the funds/ability Dhammasara monastery in Australia is also a place I'm interested in ordaining at.

Decided it would only be fair to discuss my reasons for writing after you all took the time to respond! :namaste:
sekha silapada

Postby alan... » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:58 am

Kaktus wrote:
How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?

42 (wouldn´t it be easy if this would be the answer to all questions? :smile: )

"42" is the answer to all questions isn't it?
alan...

Postby Sokehi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm

What is currently holding you back from ordaining?

Debt. But I expect to be debt-free by mid 2013.

How long have you been practicing Buddhism?

Since the age of 22.

Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?

One/Any of the Ajahn Chah Monasteries. Been to Wat Pah Nanachat once, Dhammapala, Ratanagiri several times. I feel at home.

When do you hope to ordain?

Better: when do I hope to become resident at a monastery. This year :) . When I will be suitable for ordination is up to others to decide then.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Sokehi

Postby nicholas17 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:36 am

To those who hope to or are planning to ordain:

I am not planning, I am just thinking deeply about it. But I really Hope this possibility to be ordained.

Currently, It is the lack of experience, some little doubts, but nothing so serious. And I have no money to plan an ordination ( travel etc.). Also, I have an Intermediate level in english, I want have a Good english spoken before any future ordination. Ps: I'm French.

Around 1-2 years ago ... but I meditate less often than I'd like.

I am 17.

Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?

I would like to be ordained in a Thai forest meditation center somewhere in Thailand. But I am not yet Sure about it. Maybe I'll change of ideas. I like the buddhist community in Thailand.

I don't know yet. But as soon as possible I guess is the best option.

That's it !
Peace everybody :buddha1:
nicholas17

Postby Biija » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:01 am

Nothing. But before the decision I thought a lot about my parents and my pets.

Seriously, about 3 years.

I sent a letter to Wat Pah Nanachat. I intend to ordain there, because it is more appropriate for westerners. I chose Thailand because I want to have the experience of living in a Buddhist country (the lay community is very active there) to learn as much as I can, because in the future I intend to come back to my motherland with good knowledge to share with the Brazilian Theravada Community which is very small. Well, I'm pretty happy with the decision and I hope I can make a good use of the monastic life not only for me, but for the benefit of others.

It will depend on me. I hope asap, but only time will tell. If everything goes well I will travel in November.

May all beings be released from their suffering. :hug:

_/\_
Biija

Postby kmath » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:10 pm

I ended up disrobing but:

How old were you when you ordained?

Did anything besides escaping Samsara motivate you to become a bhikkhu(ni)?
Just wanted to be a more peaceful person, wasn't thinking about Nibbana. :meditate:

How long have you been ordained/how many rains how you done?
I did 2 before leaving.

In what ways do you feel your practice has benefited as a monastic compared to when you were a layperson?
More solitude = quieter mind :candle:

Conversely, are there aspects about monasticism that you find detrimental to your practice?
The monotonous routine wore me out emotionally. So I couldn't put the same enthusiasm into my practice. :toilet:
kmath

Postby Still Searching » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 am

What is currently holding you back from ordaining? Travel money, debt, I also need more practice.
How long have you been practicing Buddhism? 3 years.
How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)? 26.
Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there? Thailand. It's warm and their practice some good.
When do you hope to ordain? Before I'm 30.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~ Siddhārtha, Gautama Buddha
Still Searching

Postby konchokzopa » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:27 pm

sekha silapada wrote:Out of curiosity, I have some questions that I hope you may take the time to answer :namaste:

money, need to gather and save some money.

around 2 years of practice.

21 years old

yes, i am considering ordaining in Pa Auk Monastery, if it is possible. i would like to ordain there because i feel the strongest connection to there out of all the forest monastery traditions. and i also like the idea of devoting to the path of purification or visshuddimagga.

i hope to go the Pa Auk Monastery before next summer and we'll see how it goes from there.
konchokzopa

Postby suriyopama » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:41 am

- Debt pending mortgage of a house in an European country sinked in the financial crisis).
- My mother is in Europe, and she is too old to travel to Thailand. Besides visiting her, she may need care in the future.
- Body weakness. I'm not able to sit on the floor (in any posture) for more than 30 minutes without resting my back.
- Thai spicy food. ;)
- 15 years
In the forest. But although I’ve been leaving 4 years in Thailand, I still haven’t certainly decided it.
Before I die
Last edited by suriyopama on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
suriyopama

Postby Jon. S » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:01 am

>What is currently holding you back from ordaining?
I am not 20 years old just yet. Also, the money towards expenses.

>How long have you been practicing Buddhism?
For about 2 years.

>How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?

>Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?
I initially wanted to ordain at Bhavana Society because of the ease of residency, but after visiting Forest Dhamma Monastery in VA I'm more inclined to go there. Good teachers, good environment, and good discipline. Possibly Abhayagiri, but i need to visit around and become familiar with these places first.

>When do you hope to ordain?
Within the next 2-4 years.
I was born naked.
My beloved parents
kindly gave me a name.
When I reached twenty
I thought "a name is a chain,
I want to abandon it".
Whoever I questioned
No one answers me.
When I hear the wind in the pines
I get an answer.
Jon. S

Postby Hickersonia » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:21 am

sekha silapada wrote:What is currently holding you back from ordaining?

I have a wife and two children for whom I intend to provide. I don't "feel" like they hold me back, mind you, but they are a condition that ties me to lay life.

After that, language barriers may become the next major obstacle.

sekha silapada wrote:How long have you been practicing Buddhism?

Almost two years.

sekha silapada wrote:How old are you (not really relevant, just curious)?

I will be 32 years old in January.

sekha silapada wrote:Do you have a particular place you would like to ordain? If so, where, and why there?

I would consider any monastery associated with the Ajahn Chah lineage located in a predominantly English speaking country. I'm somewhat familiar with Bodhinyana and Metta Forest Monastery, but I have not been to either location yet (and being as Bodhinyana is many thousands of miles away from me, I won't be going there anytime soon).

I think my main consideration, aside from English being spoken regularly, is the desire to stay where I think I'd be most useful. I can relate to the problems people face in America more than I could, say, Thailand. That, and I think my children would ultimately have a very negative view of Buddhism if I left the county with no intention to return.

Please be well. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Hickersonia

Postby Craig86 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm

My cat (major attachment), mental health (recovering from some issues that would be a barrier to Monastic life), and lack of general readiness at this time.

A year.

Any of the UK monasteries within the Ajahn Chah lineage.

In my 30's.
Craig86

Postby Mkoll » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:02 am

Officially took 5 precepts and 3 refuges about 3 months ago.

I've only been to one monastery, Abhayagiri in Northern California. It was wonderful and I plan to go back. I plan to visit many monasteries between now and when I ordain in order to find the best fit one.

When I conclude that there is more benefit in the monastic way of life than the householder way. Certainly well before I die of old age and sickness.

Still a beginner. I've been a disciple of the Blessed One for such a short period and am inexperienced.

Moral shame. Until a few months ago, I lived a depraved life, breaking the precepts nearly every day. It would be disrespectful to the Sangha and myself to ordain when I have so many defilements bubbling up.

Lack of bodily fitness. I've spent much of my life cultivating bad posture and lack of flexibility. It will take many years of meditation, yoga, and bodywork before my body is more supple.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Jayantha-NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:35 am

sekha silapada wrote:Out of curiosity, I have some questions that I hope you may take the time to answer :namaste:

The only thing holding me back is a car payment :)

I've been practicing meditation for about 10 years, buddhism about 5.

Bhavana Society with Bhante G, West Virginia, USA

It will take me nearly two years to ordain from the time I enter as a resident with intention to renounce, You are there as a resident for at least 6 months then you are a novice monk for a year before taking full ordination.
Jayantha-NJ

Postby JacquelineR » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:45 pm

My degree (not long left now). I did try to become a monastery permanent resident at 18, but the stress affected my mother's health badly and I came back.

10 years.

Dhammasara Nuns' Monastery. There's not really a lot of choice for women, but I feel confident that I'd be able to learn good vinaya there, which is a priority for me. Being part of the Buddhist Society of Western Australia is also a plus, as I find the atmosphere vibrant, inspiring and "dhammaful". I also like the mode of practice- it is quite multicultural, drawing on Sri Lankan, Thai and Western Theravadin forest traditions, with significant Singaporean and Malaysian support. Some people might find this hard to understand- but I also appreciate that the focus is more on Dhamma than gender issues & that the community is more concerned with toppling tanha than toppling the patriarchy. It's quiet, traditional, multicultural and meditative- which is what I'm after.

I hope to become a permanent monastery resident next year; although the full process takes more time.
JacquelineR

Postby Jayantha-NJ » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:21 pm

JacquelineR wrote:To those who hope to or are planning to ordain:
My degree (not long left now). I did try to become a monastery permanent resident at 18, but the stress affected my mother's health badly and I came back.

10 years.

Dhammasara Nuns' Monastery. There's not really a lot of choice for women, but I feel confident that I'd be able to learn good vinaya there, which is a priority for me. Being part of the Buddhist Society of Western Australia is also a plus, as I find the atmosphere vibrant, inspiring and "dhammaful". I also like the mode of practice- it is quite multicultural, drawing on Sri Lankan, Thai and Western Theravadin forest traditions, with significant Singaporean and Malaysian support. Some people might find this hard to understand- but I also appreciate that the focus is more on Dhamma than gender issues & that the community is more concerned with toppling tanha than toppling the patriarchy. It's quiet, traditional, multicultural and meditative- which is what I'm after.

I hope to become a permanent monastery resident next year; although the full process takes more time.

This thread brings joy to my heart. I love to see more bhikkhunis on this planet. Sadu sadu :-)
Jayantha-NJ

Postby Kasina » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

sekha silapada wrote:
Out of curiosity, I have some questions that I hope you may take the time to answer :namaste:

1. Student debt. I just recently spent half a semester in college, however, I had changed my mind prior to going and wished to ordain. I got talked into going and, well, it went miserably. Mental health issues and my personal conflict of interest resulted in very poor performance and great difficulty. It wasn't until I told my parents that I was borderline suicidal there that they consented to me leaving. My practice carried me through and probably saved me doing a lot of things I'd have regretted. I'm currently working of my debt (9000$).

2. Good question. I have been practicing in the Theravada tradition for 7 months. Before that I considered myself a Zen "practitioner" for about 4 months. However, I have always been invested in matters of the spiritual since I was very young, and honestly see Buddhism (esp. Theravada) as a culmination of my search. It has given me amazing results, and a strict discipline which I had always lacked. I've been a daily meditator for 7 months, and I had been on/off meditating for a few years beforehand. I spent most of my teens fighting depression and intense anxiety, whilst experimenting with drugs. Recently, I had started using cannabis daily (morning, noon, and night) and causing a lot of trouble for myself, until one day something fell through for me and I had had enough. I threw out all of my paraphernalia and chose to take my religion seriously, and pledged to become a monk . Honestly, I had no clue what I was getting into, but over time, I became acquainted with Theravada, and kept learning more about Buddhism. It only strengthened my resolve and gave me hope.

3. I'm 19.

4. Yes. Tisarana, in Canada (south of Ottawa for my fellow Canadianites). An Ajaan Chah monastery. (http://tisarana.ca/)

5. Sadly, probably not until late 2015-early '16.

:toilet:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Kasina

Previous

Return to Ordination and Monastic Life