Age limit for ordination

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
dhammachanda

Age limit for ordination

Post by dhammachanda »

I've made the decision to ordain but am running into one barrier I can't overcome: my age. I am 58 and so far all monasteries I have either visited or spoke with the abbot have an age restriction. E.g. Wat Metta - 40, Abhayagiri - 50, Forrest Dhamma - Ajahn Dick did not say other than I don't qualify.
Does anyone know of any Theravada monasteries in the US that will ordain someone over 50 years old?
pilgrim

Re: Age limit for ordination

Post by pilgrim »

There are few options in the US and the limited support restricts the number of persons they can ordain and support. But I think it can be done fairly easily in Asia, particularly Burma.
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

dhammachanda wrote:I've made the decision to ordain but am running into one barrier I can't overcome: my age. I am 58 and so far all monasteries I have either visited or spoke with the abbot have an age restriction. E.g. Wat Metta - 40, Abhayagiri - 50, Forrest Dhamma - Ajahn Dick did not say other than I don't qualify.
Does anyone know of any Theravada monasteries in the US that will ordain someone over 50 years old?
Try Dhamma Suckha www.dhammasukha.org.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
dhammachanda

Post by dhammachanda »

Thank you for the kind and timely responses.

Regarding international travel/ordination (e.g. Burma, Thailand, Sri Lanka), I'm focusing on the US at this time primarily for the reason you stated - the "limited support". I currently live in California and have full medical coverage and a small, but guaranteed monthly income which could be transferred to other states. This would take any potential financial burden off the monastery - especially through the anagarika period where I can still handle money. After that, I have committed benefactors. In addition, I feel it would be best if I could establish my "home" monastery in the US as to eliminate potential language and cultural barriers so that I could focus more on the dhamma. Being in the US would also simplify relocation requirements (visas et al).

I will contact Dhamma Sukha and see what options they have.

With a deep bow...
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

dhammachanda wrote:Thank you for the kind and timely responses.

Regarding international travel/ordination (e.g. Burma, Thailand, Sri Lanka), I'm focusing on the US at this time primarily for the reason you stated - the "limited support". I currently live in California and have full medical coverage and a small, but guaranteed monthly income which could be transferred to other states. This would take any potential financial burden off the monastery - especially through the anagarika period where I can still handle money. After that, I have committed benefactors. In addition, I feel it would be best if I could establish my "home" monastery in the US as to eliminate potential language and cultural barriers so that I could focus more on the dhamma. Being in the US would also simplify relocation requirements (visas et al).

I will contact Dhamma Sukha and see what options they have.

With a deep bow...
To me another reason why to look in the US is that Americans who have done the work to become Buddhists are more likely to leave aside all the traditions and cultural baggage that do not lead to awakening and focus on the important and relevant issues.
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5
dhammachanda

Post by dhammachanda »

Very well put dhammarelax... I definitely agree. :anjali:
dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax »

If you like to see what are the teaching of the Abbot you can take a free online retreat: http://www.dhammasukha.org/online-retre ... ation.html
dhammachanda

Post by dhammachanda »

dhammarelax wrote:If you like to see what are the teaching of the Abbot you can take a free online retreat: http://www.dhammasukha.org/online-retre ... ation.html
Thank you again... I will look into this.
jwb81

Post by jwb81 »

Hello! I'm curious where you left off. Have you ordained?