Sutta Central

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and texts.

Sutta Central

Postby plwk » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 am

Straight from Ajahn Sujato...
I have some wonderful news today: our new SuttaCentral is finally live!

You can see it here at: http://suttacentral.net/

We have been working very hard on this for some time now, and are very happy with the results so far. I will be writing on various aspects of this project in the coming weeks, so for now let me just introduce a few of our main features.
More here

:twothumbsup:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Re: Sutta Central

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Great news!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Lazy_eye » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Wow.

I'm no scholar, but awhile back I was trying to research some questions that involved comparing Pali and Chinese texts. It proved incredibly daunting, as the texts were scattered in different locations.

A resource like this makes it a snap. I see that many translations are still unavailable and, in the case of the Tibetan versions, some of the original texts are not available either. But the framework is there and doubtless these gaps will be filled in over time.

Kudos to all involved!
Lazy_eye

Postby Thanavuddho » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:37 am

Greetings,

I am wondering if this site could become like accesstoinsight.org? It seems they are making use of content in other pages as well.

Metta,
Thanvuddho
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
Thanavuddho

Postby daverupa » Sat May 03, 2014 1:59 am

Some Vinayas are now online with translations into English; other Vinayas & Abhidhammas coming along, but online in primary languages anyway.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby waterchan » Sat May 03, 2014 3:42 pm

FInally Vinaya translations are available on SuttaCentral. I'm reading the Bhikkhu Parajika section now. The humor is just hilarious!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
waterchan

Postby Virgo » Sat May 03, 2014 3:49 pm

:twothumbsup:

K
Virgo

Postby daverupa » Fri May 09, 2014 1:39 am

http://sujato.wordpress.com/2014/05/09/ ... rade-2014/

2014 saw the introduction of the most significant expansion of content and coverage since the site’s inception in 2005.

Details of the changes at the link.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Mkoll » Fri May 09, 2014 2:22 am

I've always been impressed with that site. Nice to see it get even better.

:clap:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Unrul3r » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 am

SuttaCentral has one more update. It seems to have a new interface & detailed introduction page (with a mention to Mike's "In the Buddha's Words - Open Source Version" thread). :)

:anjali:
Unrul3r

Postby Qianxi » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:54 pm

It's a nice new introduction.

The new update has removed the direct links to the Chinese texts on cbeta.org, I hope this is temporary. Without the direct links, going from a reference "MA 162" to the Chinese text can be quite time consuming because you've got to find out which 'scroll' of the Chinese text sutra number 162 is on.

Madhyama Agama 162 is referenced
漢語 MA 162 T 26.162 分別六界 T i 690a19

I can't find a quick way of going from either T 26.162 or T i 690a19 to the correct scroll and line of T26.

Anyway, good luck to the suttacentral project.
Last edited by Qianxi on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qianxi

Postby waterchan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for the update, Qianxi. SuttaCentral is truly the first online repository of its kind. There must be at least several lifetimes worth of study in the Theravada section alone! Every time I look at that site I am astounded at how much work it must have taken to get all those texts transcribed from all those different languages.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
waterchan

Return to Early Buddhism