Docu. series about early Buddhism by Bhikkhu Anandajoti

Textual analysis and comparative discussion on early Buddhist sects and scriptures.
perkele

Docu. series about early Buddhism by Bhikkhu Anandajoti

Post by perkele »

Don't know if this is more fitting here or in the Open Dhamma. May the mods move it as they please. Thanks.

A nice documentary series I stumbled across recently. Bhante Anandajoti tells about the history of early Buddhism in a nice storytelling way from the Buddha's enlightenment up until 100 AD or something, with political maps, historical and scriptural anecdotes all nicely put together.
The series consits of four parts:

The Early Life of the Buddha

The Last Year of the Buddha's Life

Asoka and the Missions

The Spread of Buddhist civilization through Asia

Enjoy. :ugeek:
Javi

Re: Docu. series about early Buddhism by Bhikkhu Anandajoti

Post by Javi »

Thank you so much :anjali:
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
daverupa

Re: Docu. series about early Buddhism by Bhikkhu Anandajoti

Post by daverupa »

Roughly five hours of video here;

:popcorn:

I'm quite interested to see how the available material is handled.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]