Using Buddha Statues in the Garden

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
James the Giant

Re: Using Buddha Statues in the Garden

Post by James the Giant »

fernrichardson wrote:I am hoping that you all can help educate me on the issues regarding using Buddha statues in the garden
Well, recently in Sri Lanka, three tourists took pictures of themselves kissing a buddha statue, they were lighthearted photos, they didn't set out to cause offence. Then someone saw the photos and they got sentenced to jail, with six months hard labour... thankfully suspended, so they won't actually go to jail.
"They were convicted under a section of the Penal Code which outlaws deeds intended to wound or insult "the religious feelings of any class of persons" through acts committed in, upon or near sacred objects or places of worship."

In 2010 two Sri Lankan Muslim traders were given suspended jail sentences for selling keyrings containing an image of Buddha.

That same year Sri Lanka denied a visa to the R&B star Akon, who had been due to perform a concert. It happened after public protests over one of his music videos which briefly showed scantily-clad women dancing in front of a Buddha statue.
So, while it is acceptable in the west, in some Buddhist countries it's a big deal.
Who's your book aimed at? Conservative Buddhists (some might say fanatical), or secular westerners?
I say go for it.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

James (and all),
Bhavana posted to an old thread. It's quite likely that the book mentioned in the OP is not only finished but printed and published.
That said, the topic in general is a good one to be aware of.

:namaste:
Kim
James the Giant

Post by James the Giant »

Kim O'Hara wrote:James (and all),
Bhavana posted to an old thread. It's quite likely that the book mentioned in the OP is not only finished but printed and published.
Oops! I do dislike thread dredging.
I didn't take note of the date.
Nevermind!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11