Buddha Statues facing East

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.

Re: Buddha Statues facing East

Postby oceanmen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:33 am

maybe we can learn from the example of the Buddha,
where did he meditate? what direction? in nature?
under a tree? or sitting in front of his statue?
and what was more important?
the meditation or the location/direction?

just wondering...
oceanmen

Postby Refugee » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:28 am

Laurens wrote:Its just a statue, kick its head off it you want to... You're not gonna hurt Buddhism

It's not "just a statue" for me. The shrine and the images of the Buddha in it help me to focus on, reflect on, and be inspired by the Dhamma. For me, Buddhism is a "religion" and not just a "philosophy". That's the way I see it. Others may see it differently and I respect that.

As for kicking off the head of the :buddha1: statue... :cookoo:

Metta,
Tim
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
Refugee

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:49 am

Refugee wrote:
Laurens wrote:Its just a statue, kick its head off it you want to... You're not gonna hurt Buddhism

It's not "just a statue" for me. The shrine and the images of the Buddha in it help me to focus on, reflect on, and be inspired by the Dhamma. For me, Buddhism is a "religion" and not just a "philosophy". That's the way I see it. Others may see it differently and I respect that.

As for kicking off the head of the :buddha1: statue... :cookoo:

Metta,
Tim

As i said, dso what is meaningful for and pay no heed to the statue kickers.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Mukunda » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:33 pm

No, you won't hurt Buddhism. But what does it say about one's mind set? :thinking:
:anjali:
Mukunda

Postby Laurens » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:50 pm

The comment I made meant not disrespect or anything, all I am saying is you can do what you want really, its only a statue.

Like when the Buddha's were destroyed in Afghanistan... That did nothing to the Dhamma at all. It's not about statues - That's my point.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan
Laurens

Postby salmon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:36 am

Perhaps this east facing/west facing this has some cultural strings attached. In some Asian countries, people will choose a house which gets "morning sun" (east) rather than the "evening sun" (west). When I asked why, I was told that while morning sun is conducive to health, evening sun is harsh. Which is the same reason traditional Chinese folks will "bake" their babies in morning sun (not evening) to rid them of jaundice.

Just a guess...

PS. my altar faces west, by the way, because the layout of my room only allows for it to be placed that way.

PPS. good to be able to read and post again. thanks retro! :)
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
salmon

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm

shrtyp1 wrote:What happens if tuesday meditating buddha statue faces north?

The face of the Buddha statue gets very little sun (in the northern hemisphere).

No apocalypse, nothing else happens.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby denice » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 am

do not attach yourself to the worry over if your shrine faces east .i agree with the first reply that it is merely rites and rituals .the shrine in essence is for mindfullness that once again you are not meant to attach to.after all it is your path ,there is no disrespect if it faces another direction all directions come together .i myself have a shrine in my home. so long as your buddha statue is above you as you are seated you are fine .
denice

Postby plwk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:57 am

so long as your buddha statue is above you as you are seated you are fine .

And if it isn't, then what?
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby denice » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:27 am

@ plwk ......if it isnt above you then nothing ...however the statue is not buddha ..we all are buddha already ,the statue placement of above you while seated in front is as a reminder of enlightenment ,and all other customs are done with respectfulness ,my point to the original question was not to attach to the worry of placement
denice

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 am

denice wrote:we all are buddha already
Hmmm....
I think if you check you might find that you're not actually a Buddha but a putthujana (worldling).

Plwk:
The placement of a Buddharupa is about developing respect, gratitude and some of those other good-to-have mental qualities which assists one on the path.
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby plwk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 am

Thank you denice.

True Ben. The Southern Indian friends I know have no qualms placing religious statues on the floor, including a Buddha rupa. To them, that spot on the floor is as usable as a higher platform as long as it's a designated area for religious practice. In my culture, the Chinese one that is, however, it is totally 'inappropriate' or even 'taboo' to place anything religious or regarded as respectable on the floor and should always be eye level or higher. Hence, I came to a conclusion, 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do'...
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Previous

Return to Shrine Room