Buddha Statues facing East

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
oceanmen

Re: Buddha Statues facing East

Post by oceanmen »

maybe we can learn from the example of the Buddha,
where did he meditate? what direction? in nature?
under a tree? or sitting in front of his statue?
and what was more important?
the meditation or the location/direction?

just wondering...
Refugee

Post by Refugee »

Laurens wrote:Its just a statue, kick its head off it you want to... You're not gonna hurt Buddhism
It's not "just a statue" for me. The shrine and the images of the Buddha in it help me to focus on, reflect on, and be inspired by the Dhamma. For me, Buddhism is a "religion" and not just a "philosophy". That's the way I see it. Others may see it differently and I respect that.

As for kicking off the head of the :buddha1: statue... :cookoo:

Metta,
Tim
My practice is simply this: Avoid evil, do good, and purify the mind.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Refugee wrote:
Laurens wrote:Its just a statue, kick its head off it you want to... You're not gonna hurt Buddhism
It's not "just a statue" for me. The shrine and the images of the Buddha in it help me to focus on, reflect on, and be inspired by the Dhamma. For me, Buddhism is a "religion" and not just a "philosophy". That's the way I see it. Others may see it differently and I respect that.

As for kicking off the head of the :buddha1: statue... :cookoo:

Metta,
Tim
As i said, dso what is meaningful for and pay no heed to the statue kickers.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mukunda

Post by Mukunda »

No, you won't hurt Buddhism. But what does it say about one's mind set? :thinking:
:anjali:
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

The comment I made meant not disrespect or anything, all I am saying is you can do what you want really, its only a statue.

Like when the Buddha's were destroyed in Afghanistan... That did nothing to the Dhamma at all. It's not about statues - That's my point.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
salmon

Post by salmon »

Perhaps this east facing/west facing this has some cultural strings attached. In some Asian countries, people will choose a house which gets "morning sun" (east) rather than the "evening sun" (west). When I asked why, I was told that while morning sun is conducive to health, evening sun is harsh. Which is the same reason traditional Chinese folks will "bake" their babies in morning sun (not evening) to rid them of jaundice.

Just a guess...

PS. my altar faces west, by the way, because the layout of my room only allows for it to be placed that way.

PPS. good to be able to read and post again. thanks retro! :)
~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

shrtyp1 wrote:What happens if tuesday meditating buddha statue faces north?
The face of the Buddha statue gets very little sun (in the northern hemisphere).

No apocalypse, nothing else happens.
denice

Post by denice »

do not attach yourself to the worry over if your shrine faces east .i agree with the first reply that it is merely rites and rituals .the shrine in essence is for mindfullness that once again you are not meant to attach to.after all it is your path ,there is no disrespect if it faces another direction all directions come together .i myself have a shrine in my home. so long as your buddha statue is above you as you are seated you are fine .
plwk

Post by plwk »

so long as your buddha statue is above you as you are seated you are fine .
And if it isn't, then what?
denice

Post by denice »

@ plwk ......if it isnt above you then nothing ...however the statue is not buddha ..we all are buddha already ,the statue placement of above you while seated in front is as a reminder of enlightenment ,and all other customs are done with respectfulness ,my point to the original question was not to attach to the worry of placement
Ben

Post by Ben »

denice wrote:we all are buddha already
Hmmm....
I think if you check you might find that you're not actually a Buddha but a putthujana (worldling).

Plwk:
The placement of a Buddharupa is about developing respect, gratitude and some of those other good-to-have mental qualities which assists one on the path.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
plwk

Post by plwk »

Thank you denice.

True Ben. The Southern Indian friends I know have no qualms placing religious statues on the floor, including a Buddha rupa. To them, that spot on the floor is as usable as a higher platform as long as it's a designated area for religious practice. In my culture, the Chinese one that is, however, it is totally 'inappropriate' or even 'taboo' to place anything religious or regarded as respectable on the floor and should always be eye level or higher. Hence, I came to a conclusion, 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do'...
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

It seems that there is also a tradition at least in Korea to express different aspects of the Buddha in the four directions:

Each statue has different hand positions. The Buddha facing east is in the fearless position. The Buddha facing west is Turning the Wheel of Dharma. The Buddha facing south is touching the earth and the Buddha facing north is in the reclining position (the Buddha's final state of enlightenment before his death).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsangjeon

But mostly it is a matter of folk beliefs and ritual behaviour, as this article shows:

Buddha statue has to face east, officials say
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/b ... icials-say
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

[quoteBut mostly it is a matter of folk beliefs and ritual behaviour, as this article shows:][/quote]

I am not going to discard old belief without some good investigations.
When we say Buddhas statue, we are not just talking about concrete or rocks.
Buddha's statue is a meditation lesson written without words or letters. (eg: cross leggs and body erect is an important when meditate)
It also should remember that Hindus were worshiping sun in this period and Buddha had to adhere to some customs.
Another factor is the earths magnetic fields and we do not know how it affect our mind states.
If you are meditating in the morning will you be facing east or west?
If you are meditating in the afternoon will you be facing east or west?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

So why did the Buddha face east?
Well we know that the Buddha was enlightened on the morning of Wesak that is in May. This time of the year is the peak of the hot indian summer. He first sat down under the Bodhi tree on the evening of Wesak Eve probably around 5 to 6 pm when the sun was low on the horizon.
So the Buddha faced east, for no mystical reason but because in this position, he was on the eastern part of the large Bodhi tree where the shade was and he had his back to the Bodhi tree and the evening sun.
:namaste: