Sri Lanka Travel

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
Maitri

Sri Lanka Travel

Post by Maitri »

Hello,

I am planning a trip/pilgrimage at the end of the year to South or South East Asia- perhaps India, Thailand, or Sri Lanka. For India and Thailand I've found many options for tour groups, travel coordinators etc.., but not as much for Sri Lankan tours. Has anyone used a tour company in Sri Lanka they could recommend or advise against? Or a company outside of Sri Lanka? I prefer a local company for the economic benefit to the community and the pricing tends to be more realistic. I will also ask the Bhante at my center for advice, but thought someone on here may have some Sri Lanka travel experiences to share.

I am not set on Sri Lanka, just exploring travel options at the moment.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Sri Lanka Travel

Post by DNS »

If you haven't been to India yet, I'd recommend that first. Just in case you don't have the time or money to see all the great places in Asia, you'll be happy you went to India. The four most important sites are Bodh Gaya, Kushinagar, Sarnath/Varanasi, and Lumbini (Nepal). If you can see more that is great, but those are the most important.

Shantum Seth's pilgrimage company is good and there are others too.

For Sri Lanka, if you know a Sri Lankan monk, it might be good to just go with him as your tour guide. They are very familiar with their country and you would just have to pay him some dana for his trip and the tour and his flight costs.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Maitri,

If you decide to go to Sri Lanka, you can rent a car with its driver at the airport, this would cost you around $50 a day (including fuel and driver's fees). The driver will take you around in beautiful Sri Lanka, and will sleep at the same hotels you stay in (each hotel have special section for drivers so this wont cost you extra). You are expected to feed the driver when you eat though but this also does not cost much. Most drivers have much experience and he can be your tour guide as well.

At the end of your trip, you can pay the driver a tip (depends on the quality of the service provided)
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

David N. Snyder wrote:If you haven't been to India yet, I'd recommend that first. Just in case you don't have the time or money to see all the great places in Asia, you'll be happy you went to India. The four most important sites are Bodh Gaya, Kushinagar, Sarnath/Varanasi, and Lumbini (Nepal). If you can see more that is great, but those are the most important.

Shantum Seth's pilgrimage company is good and there are others too.

For Sri Lanka, if you know a Sri Lankan monk, it might be good to just go with him as your tour guide. They are very familiar with their country and you would just have to pay him some dana for his trip and the tour and his flight costs.
Hi David,

Thank you for the advice concerning Sri Lanka. I've thought of timing my trip when the local Bhante has to return to Sri Lanka as he has invited us before. It's been hard to coordinate between his schedule and getting time off work. I think I will ask and see if he plans to travel to Sri Lanka this year. Even if that doesn't work then I will ask for his travel advice.

I have been to India and Nepal before and only passed through Thailand. I would very much like to return to India to visit Bodhgaya again at least, but am assessing the travel logistics. I am planning about two weeks of travel. It kills me to travel so close to Bodhgaya and not go! I figure that I'm only an 8 hour flight from Bangkok, so why not? :jumping:
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

Maitri

Post by Maitri »

Bundokji wrote:Maitri,

If you decide to go to Sri Lanka, you can rent a car with its driver at the airport, this would cost you around $50 a day (including fuel and driver's fees). The driver will take you around in beautiful Sri Lanka, and will sleep at the same hotels you stay in (each hotel have special section for drivers so this wont cost you extra). You are expected to feed the driver when you eat though but this also does not cost much. Most drivers have much experience and he can be your tour guide as well.

At the end of your trip, you can pay the driver a tip (depends on the quality of the service provided)
Bundokji,

Thank you for the information on hiring a driver. I'd not heard of this before and it is something that I will look into. My issue is that I will be in need of a guide as I am not overly familiar with the country and would like have a local person assist with the travel, either individually or with a group. But, I will look into this further and see if can work for my travel plans.

Thanks again!

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I presume that such a driver would also act as a guide. This is very common in Asia. I used drivers in Thailand last month who were based in Chiang Mai (since I flew there) to get get to and from where Ven Dhammanando was staying, and they knew how to find all the wats I wanted to visit on the way back to Chiang Mai...

:anjali:
Mike