Setting up Buddha shrine

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, bhikkhus, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice, devotion etc.
D1W1

Setting up Buddha shrine

Post by D1W1 »

Hi guys,

Some people set their Buddha shrine at the highest position of the house e.g. top floor of the house. Some other non-celibate married couple/lay people who live for example in a relatively smaller accommodation such as apartment doesn't have much room, so they normally put the Buddha statue in the same room as they normally use for sleeping. Another view is, a Buddha shrine room can't be located next to lay people bedroom, the view is that that is unwholesome.

I think a "Buddha bar" decision is not an option but if we take out cultural view, are these views right or wrong? Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nicolas

Re: Setting up Buddha shrine

Post by Nicolas »

Do whatever you want with your Buddha shrine.
What is the use of a shrine? To stimulate devotion? A reminder to practice? Setting up a specific space to practice? In other words, to better your practice. Then put it wherever you think is best for your practice.
BlkMettaCat

Post by BlkMettaCat »

I have a small shrine on the wall in my room and another large statue on a high shelf (not quite a shrine yet though). As Nicholas said, do what you want with it. I use mine to pay homage to the Buddha and his teachings. There is also a shrine thread if you want to see how others have set them up.

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1810
:buddha1:
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

D1W1 wrote:Hi guys,

Some people set their Buddha shrine at the highest position of the house e.g. top floor of the house. Some other non-celibate married couple/lay people who live for example in a relatively smaller accommodation such as apartment doesn't have much room, so they normally put the Buddha statue in the same room as they normally use for sleeping. Another view is, a Buddha shrine room can't be located next to lay people bedroom, the view is that that is unwholesome.

I think a "Buddha bar" decision is not an option but if we take out cultural view, are these views right or wrong? Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks.
I am not a fan of the shrine being in the bedroom, but something set up on a flaoting shelf in the livingroom or hallway would be a good choice as I find the main use is as a tool for recollection so wherever you find it most useful day to day.
At present I only have an image above the fireplace.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
samseva

Post by samseva »

It's not something strict, but Buddha-rūpas should be placed somewhere for devotion. Communal living areas should be avoided. They also shouldn't be used as forms of decoration.

This is the more traditional way of placing Buddha-rūpas, especially in Buddhist countries. Some find it offensive to see Buddha-rūpas in living rooms (sometimes even in the bathroom) and some find it offending that the choice of where to place Buddha-rūpas is somewhat imposed on them. Neither is good. There are other traditional things to respect, though not mandatory.

For more information, read Bhikkhu Khantipālo's (Thai tradition) Lay Buddhist Practice ("The Shrine Room").
D1W1

Post by D1W1 »

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply.
There are many views on how we set up the Buddha shrine, even a simple small Buddha statue. We can't find it either this kind of information in the Sutta. I don't put Buddha statue for other purpose other than practice related object. I put the Buddha statue as highest as possible such as at the top level of bookshelf, I also put a little curtain-like fabric, only open when I need to chant or meditate. What do you guys think of this, is this acceptable? Thanks.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

D1W1 wrote:I put the Buddha statue as highest as possible such as at the top level of bookshelf, I also put a little curtain-like fabric, only open when I need to chant or meditate. What do you guys think of this, is this acceptable? Thanks.
I think that is silly, to be honest.
Why would you put it on top of the high bookshelf, where you will not see it often?
And why cover it up with fabric 99% of the time, so you can't see it?

Keep your buddha where you see it often, to remind you.
But like the others have said, it's totally up to you.
Hide it away in a locked cupboard if you'd like, if it's that embarrassing or sacred.
I keep my buddha low and in the open, so it's right in front of my eyes when I open them during meditation.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

D1W1 wrote:I also put a little curtain-like fabric, only open when I need to chant or meditate. What do you guys think of this, is this acceptable? Thanks.
I've been in several Burmese and in one Chinese Buddhist home where this was done, albeit for different reasons. In the case of the Burmese it was because they didn't have enough rooms in their home to allot one room for a shrine, and so they had to install the rupa in a room that was in regular use. However they didn't want the rupa to be just another household ornament and so they would keep it hidden from view except when meditating or performing puja. In the case of the Chinese it was because the rupa was kept in a woman's bedroom and she thought it would be undecent to undress in front of it.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

Sorry for reviving this topic, but I would like some clarification regarding Buddha figure or image placement.

I live on a family house with two siblings and my mom, and I live a non-Buddhist country.
I'm the only Buddhist on the family, and I mostly assist on my 'studio' room, where I have my computer, my musical instruments (as I'm a hobbyist music composser), most of the stuff I use for my job (I work at home), and stuff I have for leisure (a few posters of cartoon characters here and there, etc).

I don't have a dedicated shrine, but on one of the walls of the room, I have a Buddha image made of cloth (like a poster) along with other Buddhist motifs.

However, being the room where I assist the most, I make lots of things and stuff there, including some (perhaps considered) unwholesome actions, considering I have a Buddha image near, like playing games on the computer, surfing the net, and honestly speaking, seeing some slightly unwholesome stuff ocasionally, etc.

What do you recommend in this case? Should I put a courtain to cover the Buddha image when I'm not meditating or practising, or should I not care much about it?

Note I like to have the Buddhist images and motifs as reminders of the Dhamma and the teachings (specially when I have anxiety issues), and I'm still a beginner and trying to improve my practice.

Sorry if some of the things I said may sound un-respectful, it's not my intention at all.
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Pumo wrote:Sorry for reviving this topic, but I would like some clarification regarding Buddha figure or image placement.

I live on a family house with two siblings and my mom, and I live a non-Buddhist country.
I'm the only Buddhist on the family, and I mostly assist on my 'studio' room, where I have my computer, my musical instruments (as I'm a hobbyist music composser), most of the stuff I use for my job (I work at home), and stuff I have for leisure (a few posters of cartoon characters here and there, etc).

I don't have a dedicated shrine, but on one of the walls of the room, I have a Buddha image made of cloth (like a poster) along with other Buddhist motifs.

However, being the room where I assist the most, I make lots of things and stuff there, including some (perhaps considered) unwholesome actions, considering I have a Buddha image near, like playing games on the computer, surfing the net, and honestly speaking, seeing some slightly unwholesome stuff ocasionally, etc.

What do you recommend in this case? Should I put a courtain to cover the Buddha image when I'm not meditating or practising, or should I not care much about it?

Note I like to have the Buddhist images and motifs as reminders of the Dhamma and the teachings (specially when I have anxiety issues), and I'm still a beginner and trying to improve my practice.

Sorry if some of the things I said may sound un-respectful, it's not my intention at all.
I'm lucky enough that at home I have a meditation and shrine room. The only other objects in there are a couple of bookcases and stored musical instruments.
When I go to work I have a bedroom there where I stay for seven days at a time. While I do have a Buddha Rupa there, I haven't unpacked it. I do meditate in my bedroom at work only because I don't have another space. But I do meditate in the same spot.
Keep it simple.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Pumo wrote:...However, being the room where I assist the most, I make lots of things and stuff there, including some (perhaps considered) unwholesome actions, considering I have a Buddha image near, like playing games on the computer, surfing the net, and honestly speaking, seeing some slightly unwholesome stuff ocasionally, etc.

Note I like to have the Buddhist images and motifs as reminders of the Dhamma and the teachings (specially when I have anxiety issues), and I'm still a beginner and trying to improve my practice...
I have no idea about rules, but I don't think you should cover it -- that would in a way suggest that: "Okay, the Dhamma is not relevant now." Let the Dhamma stay relevant and let that create some possible discomfort for you when considering engaging in activities that you consider unwholesome. You say you like the image/reminder when it may provide pleasant results (help with anxiety) -- why not experience what it does at other times? -- Just my 2 cents.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
dagon

Post by dagon »

My first rule is that there is not any rule in setting up a shrine.

Shrines are best setup utilising skilful means to achieve the purpose that you are setting it up for within the resources that you have (ie dedicate room or otherwise)

My personal guidelines where possible are:

Preferred elements in shrine room

Triple gem
  • Buddha Rupa
    One or more books to represent the Dhamma
    One or more pictures of Teachers who have inspired (also to "represent" the Shanga)
Other elements
  • Dhamma Wheel to represent/ remind of the N8FP
    Candles to remind me of OD
    Photo of Shwedagon Pagoda - being the image that has always draw me back to the path & where AFAIK I first took precepts.
    A Bell - gifted to me from Sule Pagoda when I was 4 that I have carted around the world
    A photo of my deceased wife when she was sick to remind me of the First Noble truth.
Outside of a Shrine room
  • All Buddhist related photos and pictures be at eye level when standing
    Any other Buddha Rupa above waist height
In other words only elements that provide YOU with skilful means of enhancing YOUR practise. The best Buddha Shrine is your own Practise in accordance with the Noble Eight Fold Path.

metta
dagon
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost: Dagon
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

If space is an issue, you can always try a Japanese butsudan. These are small cabinets which are very attractive, but functional as they have doors that allow the images to be tucked away when not in use. Many also have drawers for storage. The prices vary widely, but there are some nice ones for under 100$.

It's also a nice, clean minimalist style for those who prefer this look.

https://www.nakayamabutsudans.com/

"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

JohnK wrote:I have no idea about rules, but I don't think you should cover it -- that would in a way suggest that: "Okay, the Dhamma is not relevant now." Let the Dhamma stay relevant and let that create some possible discomfort for you when considering engaging in activities that you consider unwholesome. You say you like the image/reminder when it may provide pleasant results (help with anxiety) -- why not experience what it does at other times? -- Just my 2 cents.
Excellent way to put it, we should keep Dhamma always present, at all times, be it comfortable or not. Thanks for your advice JohnK. :thanks:
dagon wrote: ....
  • Dhamma Wheel to represent/ remind of the N8FP
    Candles to remind me of OD
    Photo of Shwedagon Pagoda - being the image that has always draw me back to the path & where AFAIK I first took precepts.
    A Bell - gifted to me from Sule Pagoda when I was 4 that I have carted around the world
    A photo of my deceased wife when she was sick to remind me of the First Noble truth.
Sorry for the question, but what does 'OD' stand for?
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1: