YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

SN 10.8: Sudatta Sutta — About Sudatta (Anathapindika) - Dhamma Wheel

SN 10.8: Sudatta Sutta — About Sudatta (Anathapindika)

Each week we study and discuss a different sutta or Dhamma text

Moderator: mikenz66

mikenz66

SN 10.8: Sudatta Sutta — About Sudatta (Anathapindika)

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:40 am

mikenz66

Re: SN 10.8: Sudatta Sutta — About Sudatta (Anathapindika)

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:48 am

Cormac Brown

Postby Cormac Brown » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:12 am

To me, this shows the importance of overcoming the fears and attachments that hold us back from following the path wholeheartedly. Maybe we need to open our ears to our own guardian yakkha-spirits who are encouraging us to pursue through our darkest moments. I still to this day, at 29 years old, notice fear and anxiety arise in me when I am alone in the dark, and most often I retreat into slumber, which is unfortunate and somewhat ironic.

Light seems to appear for Anathapindika in conjunction with the arising of saddha, faith or conviction. The commentary also relates it to joy. Darkness descends along with "fear, terror & horripilation," and perhaps a lack of conviction, either in his own abilities/strength or in the existence of a Tathagata. If the Vinaya version of the story is correct, and if my understanding of stream-entry is also not mistaken, this would be the last time he was to experience such mental states.

We can all be very happy and joyous for Anathapindika, who it seems is well on his way to full awakening and release.
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro

Sylvester

Postby Sylvester » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:52 am

Cormac Brown

Postby Cormac Brown » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:11 pm

The Buddha has "cut all ties," which allows him to sleep at ease. Why do we find it so difficult to cut the same ties? He must have seen much more clearly the drawbacks in the ties and the things he was tied to. Once we see these, we'll be set free. Ties to pleasures, ties to our family and loved ones, ties to our bodies, ties to our views. In order to attain peace and ease, we need to give them all up. Then our minds will be able to rest, freed from wandering on, freed from desiring, from clinging.

Clinging is suffering,
Desiring its cause.
Stopping's not easy,
But will lead us to peace.
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro

Kelvyn79

Postby Kelvyn79 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:22 am

The buddha gave insights and noble truths teaching and its acts as a weapon to cut off ties. Buddha has psychic powers to see light years and distances that no one ever reach true enough. Eventually when sudatta learns about this wisdom so extraordinary. He must be so touched and rejoice the buddha is the blessed one and teachings is the universal truth. Sudatta has been charitable and even more to the buddha and Sangha for a couple of reasons.

1. Sudatta is kind when gives to the unprotected ones. That's his nature and hope to bring happiness to those in need of his help. That's what kept him going and he gain happiness in return.

2. He placed his faith to the buddha and Sangha. By offering to them. In return, the dharma is preached. It benefits even more.

Return to “Study Group”