YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

SN 12.23 Upanisa Sutta: Discourse on Supporting Conditions - Dhamma Wheel

SN 12.23 Upanisa Sutta: Discourse on Supporting Conditions

Each week we study and discuss a different sutta or Dhamma text

Moderator: mikenz66

mikenz66

SN 12.23 Upanisa Sutta: Discourse on Supporting Conditions

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:51 am

SN 12.23 PTS: S ii 29 CDB i 553
Upanisa Sutta: Discourse on Supporting Conditions
translated from the Pali by Bhikkhu Bodhi

The Buddha explains how seeing deeply into dependent co-arising leads to Awakening. The causal chain here includes an additional set of factors not present in the "standard" chain of dependent co-arising.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .bodh.html

While staying at Savatthi the Exalted One said:

"The destruction of the cankers, monks, is for one who knows and sees, I say, not for one who does not know and does not see. Knowing what, seeing what does the destruction of the cankers occur? 'Such is material form, such is the arising of material form, such is the passing away of material form. Such is feeling... perception... mental formations... consciousness; such is the arising of consciousness, such is the passing away of consciousness' — for one who knows and sees this, monks, the destruction of the cankers occurs.

"The knowledge of destruction with respect to destruction has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for the knowledge of destruction? 'Emancipation' should be the reply.

"Emancipation, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for emancipation? 'Dispassion' should be the reply.

"Dispassion, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for dispassion? 'Disenchantment' should be the reply.

"Disenchantment, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for disenchantment? 'The knowledge and vision of things as they really are' should be the reply.

"The knowledge and vision of things as they really are, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for the knowledge and vision of things as they really are? 'Concentration' should be the reply.

"Concentration, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for concentration? 'Happiness' should be the reply.

"Happiness, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for happiness? 'Tranquillity' should be the reply.

"Tranquillity, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for tranquillity? 'Rapture' should be the reply.

"Rapture, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for rapture? 'Joy' should be the reply.

"Joy, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for joy? 'Faith' should be the reply.

"Faith, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for faith? 'Suffering' should be the reply.

"Suffering, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for suffering? 'Birth' should be the reply.

"And what is the supporting condition for birth?. 'Existence' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for existence? 'Clinging' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for clinging? 'Craving' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for craving? 'Feeling' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for feeling? 'Contact' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for contact? 'The sixfold sense base' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for the sixfold sense base? 'Mentality-materiality' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for mentality-materiality? 'Consciousness' should be the reply.

"What is the supporting condition for consciousness? 'Kamma formations' should be the reply.

"Kamma formations, monks, also have a supporting condition, I say, they do not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for kamma formations? 'Ignorance' should be the reply.

"Thus, monks, ignorance is the supporting condition for kamma formations, kamma formations are the supporting condition for consciousness, consciousness is the supporting condition for mentality-materiality, mentality-materiality is the supporting condition for the sixfold sense base, the sixfold sense base is the supporting condition for contact, contact is the supporting condition for feeling, feeling is the supporting condition for craving, craving is the supporting condition for clinging, clinging is the supporting condition for existence, existence is the supporting condition for birth, birth is the supporting condition for suffering, suffering is the supporting condition for faith, faith is the supporting condition for joy, joy is the supporting condition for rapture, rapture is the supporting condition for tranquillity, tranquillity is the supporting condition for happiness, happiness is the supporting condition for concentration, concentration is the supporting condition for the knowledge and vision of things as they really are, the knowledge and vision of things as they really are is the supporting condition for disenchantment, disenchantment is the supporting condition for dispassion, dispassion is the supporting condition for emancipation, and emancipation is the supporting condition for the knowledge of the destruction (of the cankers).

"Just as, monks, when rain descends heavily upon some mountaintop, the water flows down along with the slope, and fills the clefts, gullies, and creeks; these being filled fill up the pools; these being filled fill up the ponds; these being filled fill up the streams; these being filled fill up the rivers; and the rivers being filled fill up the great ocean — in the same way, monks, ignorance is the supporting condition for kamma formations, kamma formations are the supporting condition for consciousness, consciousness is the supporting condition for mentality-materiality, mentality-materiality is the supporting condition for the sixfold sense base, the sixfold sense base is the supporting condition for contact, contact is the supporting condition for feeling, feeling is the supporting condition for craving, craving is the supporting condition for clinging, clinging is the supporting condition for existence, existence is the supporting condition for birth, birth is the supporting condition for suffering, suffering is the supporting condition for faith, faith is the supporting condition for joy, joy is the supporting condition for rapture, rapture is the supporting condition for tranquillity, tranquillity is the supporting condition for happiness, happiness is the supporting condition for concentration, concentration is the supporting condition for the knowledge and vision of things as they really are, the knowledge and vision of things as they really are is the supporting condition for disenchantment, disenchantment is the supporting condition for dispassion, dispassion is the supporting condition for emancipation, and emancipation is the supporting condition for the knowledge of the destruction (of the cankers)."

See also: Transcendental Dependent Arising A Translation and Exposition of the Upanisa Sutta
by Bhikkhu Bodhi
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el277.html

mikenz66

Re: SN 12.23 Upanisa Sutta: Discourse on Supporting Conditions

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54 am

SN 12.23 PTS: S ii 29 CDB i 553
Upanisa Sutta: Prerequisites
translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Dwelling at Savatthi... "Monks, the ending of the effluents is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what is there the ending of effluents? 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such is perception, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such are fabrications, such their origination, such their disappearance. Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' The ending of the effluents is for one who knows in this way & sees in this way.

"The knowledge of ending in the presence of ending has its prerequisite, I tell you. It is not without a prerequisite. And what is the prerequisite for the knowledge of ending? Release, it should be said. Release has its prerequisite, I tell you. It is not without a prerequisite. And what is its prerequisite? Dispassion... Disenchantment... Knowledge & vision of things as they actually are present... Concentration... Pleasure... Serenity... Rapture... Joy... Conviction... Stress... Birth... Becoming... Clinging... Craving... Feeling... Contact... The six sense media... Name-&-form... Consciousness... Fabrications... Fabrications have their prerequisite, I tell you. They are not without a prerequisite. And what is their prerequisite? Ignorance, it should be said.

"Thus fabrications have ignorance as their prerequisite, consciousness has fabrications as its prerequisite, name-&-form has consciousness as its prerequisite, the six sense media have name-&-form as their prerequisite, contact has the six sense media as its prerequisite, feeling has contact as its prerequisite, craving has feeling as its prerequisite, clinging has craving as its prerequisite, becoming has clinging as its prerequisite, birth has becoming as its prerequisite, stress & suffering have birth as their prerequisite, conviction has stress & suffering as its prerequisite, joy has conviction as its prerequisite, rapture has joy as its prerequisite, serenity has rapture as its prerequisite, pleasure has serenity as its prerequisite, concentration has pleasure as its prerequisite, knowledge & vision of things as they actually are present has concentration as its prerequisite, disenchantment has knowledge & vision of things as they actually are present as its prerequisite, dispassion has disenchantment as its prerequisite, release has dispassion as its prerequisite, knowledge of ending has release as its prerequisite.

"Just as when the gods pour rain in heavy drops & crash thunder on the upper mountains: The water, flowing down along the slopes, fills the mountain clefts & rifts & gullies. When the mountain clefts & rifts & gullies are full, they fill the little ponds. When the little ponds are full, they fill the big lakes. When the big lakes are full, they fill the little rivers. When the little rivers are full, they fill the big rivers. When the big rivers are full, they fill the great ocean. In the same way:

"Fabrications have ignorance as their prerequisite, consciousness has fabrications as its prerequisite, name-&-form has consciousness as their prerequisite, the six sense media have name-&-form as their prerequisite, contact has the six sense media as its prerequisite, feeling has contact as its prerequisite, craving has feeling as its prerequisite, clinging has craving as its prerequisite, becoming has clinging as its prerequisite, birth has becoming as its prerequisite, stress & suffering have birth as their prerequisite, conviction has stress & suffering as its prerequisite, joy has conviction as its prerequisite, rapture has joy as its prerequisite, serenity has rapture as its prerequisite, pleasure has serenity as its prerequisite, concentration has pleasure as its prerequisite, knowledge & vision of things as they actually are present has concentration as its prerequisite, disenchantment has knowledge & vision of things as they actually are present as its prerequisite, dispassion has disenchantment as its prerequisite, release has dispassion as its prerequisite, knowledge of ending has release as its prerequisite."

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 am

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:25 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Sam Vara

Postby Sam Vara » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Sam Vara

Postby Sam Vara » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:33 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:52 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:01 am

“I say, bhikkhus, that faith too has a proximate cause; it does not lack a proximate cause. [31] And what is the proximate cause for faith? It should be said: suffering."

BB: Spk glosses the terms in the above sequence thus (starting from the end): Suffering is the suffering of the round (vaṭṭadukkha ). Faith is repeatedly arising faith (aparāparaṃ uppajjanasaddhā ; that is, tentative faith, not the unwavering faith of a noble disciple). Gladness (pāmojja) is weak rapture, while rapture proper (pīti) is strong rapture. Tranquillity (passaddhi) is the subsiding of distress, a condition for the happiness preliminary to absorption. Happiness is the happiness in the preliminary phase of meditative absorption, concentration the jhāna used as a basis (for insight; pādakajjhānasamādhi). Knowledge and vision of things as they really are (yathābhūtañāṇadassana) is weak insight, namely, the knowledges of the discernment of formations, of the overcoming of doubt, of exploration, and of what is and what is not the path (see Visuddhimagga chaps. 18-20). Revulsion (nibbidā ) is strong insight, namely, knowledge of appearance as fearful, of contemplation of danger, of reflection, and of equanimity about formations (Visuddhimagga XXI:29-66). Dispassion (virāga) is the path, which arises expunging defilements.
[See: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... index.html for a dowloadable version of the Visuddhimagga.]

Note that in the next paragraph suffering replaces aging-and-death of the usual formula.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:41 am

Spiny O'Norman

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 am

AyyaSobhana

Postby AyyaSobhana » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 am

Jayarava discusses the multiple suttas similar to upanisa sutta in showing progressive steps to Nibbana, here: http://jayarava.org/footnote.html
and a good analysis of yathābhūtañāṇādassana here: http://jayarava.blogspot.com/2008/10/kn ... ision.html

It is very powerful to show saddha arising from dukkha. A great teaching for 12-step rooms where they know the value of hitting bottom. But this may be just an awkward tacking together of two stock sequences.

More logically in the Parivāra: "Vinaya is for the purpose of restraint, restraint is for the purpose of freedom from remorse, freedom from remorse is for the purpose of gladness ..." etc. up to "knowledge and vision of liberation is for the purpose of extinguishment without clinging." And similarly in several Anguttara passages quoted by Jayarava, Sila is for the purpose of restraint, etc.

In peace,

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:03 am

Thank you AyyaSobhana, that's a very useful collection of sutta references.

:anjali:
Mike

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 am

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:06 am

vinasp

Postby vinasp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:09 am

Hi everyone,

I have just noticed that the same sequence of terms is found in the
first sutta of the Anguttara Nikaya, Part V The Book of Tens.

PTS Gradual Sayings V page 1. [ Translated by F. L. Woodward.]

The terms are; good conduct, freedom from remorse, joy, rapture, calm,
happiness, concentration, knowing and seeing things as they really are,
revulsion and fading of interest, release by knowing and seeing.

Unfortunately, it is not yet available on ATI.

Regards, Vincent.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:34 am

Hi Vincent,

I gave a link to that sutta here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11701&view=unread#p177957
It's in the Nyanaponika Thera and Bhikkhu Bodhi BPS collection. Specifically:
http://bps.lk/olib/wh/wh208-p.html#27.StepbyStep

:anjali:
Mike

vinasp

Postby vinasp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:11 am

Hi Mike,

Sorry! I did not notice that it had already been pointed out.

The same theme is developed in the next four suttas.
Number 2 is very interesting, it says that no effort is required, and that
all these things arise automatically for "one who is virtuous."
Even concentration and liberation are said to follow automatically.

I am not sure what to make of it.

Regards, Vincent.

Return to “Study Group”