SN 12.20 Paccaya Sutta: Requisite Conditions

Each week we study and discuss a different sutta or Dhamma text

Moderator: mikenz66

Spiny O'Norman
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: SN 12.20 Paccaya Sutta: Requisite Conditions

Postby Spiny O'Norman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:07 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Apologies that I cannot recall the source, but I have read the opinion that dukkha-dukkha (suffering of suffering), viparinama-dukkha (suffering due to change) and sankhara-dukkha (suffering due to formations) are not to be regarded different sets/subsets of suffering, but rather, progressively more refined understandings of dukkha.

Perhaps, but the fact remains that it's all dukkha, evidenced by the suffix "dukkha" on each of the three types.

Spiny

Cittasanto
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Re: SN 12.20 Paccaya Sutta: Requisite Conditions

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 am

Spiny O'Norman wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Apologies that I cannot recall the source, but I have read the opinion that dukkha-dukkha (suffering of suffering), viparinama-dukkha (suffering due to change) and sankhara-dukkha (suffering due to formations) are not to be regarded different sets/subsets of suffering, but rather, progressively more refined understandings of dukkha.

Perhaps, but the fact remains that it's all dukkha, evidenced by the suffix "dukkha" on each of the three types.

Spiny

it may refer to where the pain begins, if physical it is only the reaction one can deal with, if mental one, can remove the problem causing the dukkha.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."

Return to “Study Group”