SN 12.17 Acela Sutta: To the Clothless Ascetic

Where we gather to focus on a single discourse or thematic collection from the Sutta Piṭaka (new selection every two weeks)
mikenz66

Re: SN 12.17 Acela Sutta: To the Clothless Ascetic

Post by mikenz66 »

"May I receive the going forth under the Blessed One, may I receive the higher ordination?"

BB: The going forth (pabbajja) is the initial ordination as a novice (samanera); the higher ordination (upasampada) admits the novice to full membership in the Sangha as a bhikkhu.

"Kassapa, one formerly belonging to another sect who desires the going forth..."

BB: For details on the ordination of a wander formerly belonging to another sect, see Vin I 69-71.

Spk: The candidate is actually given the going forth and lives as a novice during the probationary period, after which the bhikkhus give him the higher ordination if they are satisfied with him. The Buddha, however, is entitled to waive the usual procedure when he recognizes that the candidate is sufficiently competent and need not be tested. In Kasspa's case he had the going forth given to him; then, immediately after, Kassapa was brought back to him and he called an assembly of bhikkhus and administered the higher ordination.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Mike and Retro,

Thank you for your replies. I thought it was as you say, but appreciate your confirmations.
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

vinasp wrote:Hi Mike,

"It it not that I do not know and see suffering, Kassapa. I know suffering, I see suffering."

My interpretation of this is that it can be understood in two ways.

!. The Buddha remembers what suffering is like, from his life before
his awakening.

2. The Buddha knows and sees suffering in other people, almost everyone
that he encounters - including Kassapa.

Regards, Vincent.
Hi Vincent,

I think your interpretations may be misleading. It seems to me you try to bring suffering together with a person, either for him (the Buddha before his awakening) or for other people but as I see it, this is unnecessary. For me the Buddhas statement "I know suffering, I see suffering" doesn't mean to see suffering for me or for others, it means to know/see how suffering arises, changes, ceases. It's not about "my" suffering, "your" suffering, "their" suffering, it's about knowing/seeing pañc'upādāna-khandha as it is.

best wishes, aicnteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

See also this thread: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 87#p173487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike