best/favourite translation of dhammapada

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Epistemes

Re: best/favourite translation of dhammapada

Post by Epistemes »

I recently purchased the Thomas Byrom translation since Shambhala Press offers it in a small pocket format which I can carry with me everywhere and read at my leisure; however, I've read on this forum that this translation should be avoided. But, specifically, why? Is it a matter of this translation leading to wrong understanding and wrong practice, or is it because there are more knowledgable translations available? Examples would be appreciated, if possible. Again, the primary reason I purchased this translation was it's small, pocket-sized format.
The wind spins without end,
one moment southward,
the next moment northward.
daverupa

Re: best/favourite translation of dhammapada

Post by daverupa »

Here it is online, for reference.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]