Confused about Buddhism

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
PeterB

Re: Confused about Buddhism

Post by PeterB »

OK..some people respond to polite hints and some dont.
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

Hold on...

This isn't the knitting and crotcheting forum? :shock:

;)

:namaste:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

OcTavO wrote:Hi El Gallo, to the best of my knowledge, I'll answer as straightforwardly as I can:
El Gallo wrote:I believe that suffering comes from the fact that a person is resisting how things really are.
This in line with Theravadin beliefs. Dukkha (suffering, unsatisfactoriness, unease) has Upadana (clinging/fuel) and Tanha (craving) as its cause. Digging a little deeper, the root cause of Updana and Tanha is Ignorance (Avijja). It is this ignorance which the noble eightfold path attempts to cut through.
El Gallo wrote:A person is alive in this life for a particular purpose. Whatever that purpose is is up to them. However, a person's purpose is a reflection of what they put their attention and passion into.

This is not strictly in line with Theravadin beliefs. In Theravada, both person and purpose are dependently arisen phenomena (Google "Paticcasamuppada" or "dependent origination" and be ready for months of mind boggling confusion). :tongue:

If Theravada Buddhism could be said to have any single "purpose" for the practitioners, then it would probably be best described as the "cessation of Dukkha".
El Gallo wrote:A person is responsible for the life they live.

This is absolutely in line with Theravada Buddhism. The moral and ethical component of Theravada is called Sila and it strenuously teaches that our thoughts, words and actions have far reaching consequences that we are not only responsible for but come to reap the fruits of in the future.
El Gallo wrote:Also, the more you pull to yourself, the more you lose. The more you give away, the more it comes back for you to gain.

This could be a vague description of the workings of Kamma but it sounds a little more like Daoism than Buddhism to me.

I hope that helps a little. :anjali:
Bump to return to topic.
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

PeterB wrote: Bump to return to topic.
:anjali:

My apologies if my post concerning what I find confusing about Buddhism was off-topic in the Confused About Buddhism thread.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Your post was not about what confuses you about Buddhism but what "annoys" you. And it seems that what annoys you about Buddhism is that is has different schools. Which may or may not be a legitimate concern but does not address what the OP was addressing, It was simply your personal peeve.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

KonstantKarma wrote::anjali: D_S,

Another of my favorite quotes is from Long Chen Pa. "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having nothing to do with acceptance or rejection, good or bad, one may well burst out in laughter."

I believe we all have hangups that keep us attached and thereby refusing to accept humor regarding our attachments. In my more Christian days, we said "We know God has a sense of humor- just look in the mirror!" We are a bizarre looking species. :rolleye:

Going back to the topic at hand - Buddhism is confusing - What annoys me about Buddhism and the reason I've shied away from committment to it is the number of sects and differing, bickering opinions about schools and teachers and sutras, etc. The only other faith that comes close to so much confusion is Christianity. I've always felt in regards to both that if the masters were truly enlightened, they would stop focusing on the boat that got them across the river and point the way, instead, to the other side of the river: And not care what kind of boat the next person got on. It seems some do this.

To me, dogma is confusing and a deterrent to deeper truth.

:soap:
Here is the post in question.
dhamma_spoon

Post by dhamma_spoon »

KonstantKarma wrote:
PeterB wrote: Bump to return to topic.

My apologies if my post concerning what I find confusing about Buddhism was off-topic in the Confused About Buddhism thread.
Hello KK, -

As an observer I think your "confusion" about Buddhism fits the topic nicely!
And I really appreciate the wise comment you gave: "To me, dogma is confusing and a deterrent to deeper truth.".
Yes, indeed.

Tep :stirthepot:
-----
A soup spoon does not know the taste of the soup.
A dhamma spoon does not know the taste of the Dhamma!
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

PeterB-

For the purposes of the conversation, my annoyance with the different sects has stemmed from confusion. When I made the decision to study Buddhism, the confusion between the schools and sects upset me, as I couldn't seem to get anywhere with study, and that led to my annoyance.

Dependent arising. Oh, snap!

:meditate:

I become frustrated when I get confused.

Tep-

Thank you!

:namaste:

Gratitude.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

OK. You have problems with what you see as sectarianism, and that has caused you to be hesitant about Buddhadhamma.
However you have joined a forum where the "norm",the house system,is the Theravada.
Now you are free as far as I am concerned to post what you want. I am not a mod. But as I said above dont be surprised if posts that are not sourced from within the Theravada tradition are challenged.
It is not that Dhamma Wheel is anti anything, but as you will see, it is firmly and solidly Theravadan.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

You might like to know that Dhamma Wheel has a sister forum which deals with Mahayana issues called Dharma Wheel.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

I started on the buddhist path by listening to the Dalai Lama.As time went by I found that I was drawn more to the Theravada teachings.So from my point of view,one school or sect lead me to another.Sure some people will get dogmatic about this school or that school,but remember,most of us are not enlightened beings and we still make mistakes.I know I do all the time.You just need to take your time,meet with teachers of various traditions if you want.Do not rush in,and remember we can all be prejudiced when it comes to MY tradition,MY teacher.That because so many of us still hang out with MY EGO. :quote:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

PeterB wrote:OK. You have problems with what you see as sectarianism, and that has caused you to be hesitant about Buddhadhamma.
However you have joined a forum where the "norm",the house system,is the Theravada.
Now you are free as far as I am concerned to post what you want. I am not a mod. But as I said above dont be surprised if posts that are not sourced from within the Theravada tradition are challenged.
It is not that Dhamma Wheel is anti anything, but as you will see, it is firmly and solidly Theravadan.
Thank you Peter, I was not aware I had posted anything anti-Theravadan. If I have, apologies. I know I posted quotes from Zen (of which I am not), however, that doesn't mean I don't respect many thoughts that come from scholars of Zen. I understand if they may be challenged if they are found anti-Theravadan.

Chiang, (and Peter for that matter) my first lessons with Buddhism came from the Foundation for the Preservation of Mahayana Tradition. I'm sure you're familiar with them. I eventually left them, as A) I wasn't ready to begin with and B) The Mahayana experience wasn't giving me what I was looking for. Some things linger, I'm sure (you'll notice I don't inherently use the Pali words) but I am here because I am interested in the Theravadan path.

The monks I learn under are dual-ordained in both. Here where I'm at, Mahayana is about the only real resource. Since I learn from both traditions and take what Dhamma I can wherever I can find it, feel free to slap my wrists if I say something anti-Theravadan.
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

I had real problems visualizing the various deities.It was costing a fortune buying pictures of them.Yes I do know FPMT.
I know zip about zen except in some ya get whacked with a big stick.Oww.
Anyway,keep posting and we will keep answering,but be warned sometimes it gets real serious in here,but not always. :shrug:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
KonstantKarma

Post by KonstantKarma »

chiangmaigreg wrote:I had real problems visualizing the various deities.It was costing a fortune buying pictures of them.Yes I do know FPMT.
I didn't realize the gods stuff was part of the package. Big turnoff for me. The actual lessons and study guides were good, however, to their credit.
I know zip about zen except in some ya get whacked with a big stick.Oww.
Oh, I'm used to that. I have an ex, and work in public service. I've been whacked by big sticks every day of my life!
Anyway,keep posting and we will keep answering,but be warned sometimes it gets real serious in here,but not always. :shrug:
Thanks!

lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

KonstantKarma wrote:I didn't realize the gods stuff was part of the package.
In Tibetan Dharma, deity visualization is another one of Q's gadgets, and you can choose to leave it in the lab even if you accept the mission. It's a mind training tool, more or less.

It seems to me to be effective in the right hands...though taking precedence over Samatha...makes my eyes move closer together...

oops too much Tibet, um ah ya the goal there is to become a Buddha ( a special class of Arahant), while the end of the line in Theravada is Arahant (which includes Buddhas).
I'm not aware of any bloody sword or gun battles between the two.