Figure of Bhaisajyaguru and Sakyamuni aspect

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Pumo

Figure of Bhaisajyaguru and Sakyamuni aspect

Post by Pumo »

Hi everyone.

A few weeks ago, I bought a brass figure of Buddha for my personal shrine.
I thought it was on a common Bhumisparsha figure, but after more researching I found it's the Bhaisajyaguru posture (with herbs out from his alms bowl).

So instead of buying a Sakyamuni Buddha figure, I bought a Medicine Buddha figure. :tongue:

Not that there's something specifically bad about that, but it was very expensive (at least for me), and although I also like the medicinal aspect of Bhaisajyaguru, I'm more fond of Sakyamuni and I'm not too engaged into some more advanced Mahayana practices, at least for now.

But then I encountered that Bhaisajyaguru can also refer to the 'medicinal' aspect of Sakyamuni, and I'm devout to Sakyamuni.

So what are your views of Theravadins here regarding that? Can I see my figure as an aspect of Sakyamuni and can still use it on my shrine?

Or do you think I'm saying/thinking something stupid? :shrug:
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1:
pilgrim

Re: Figure of Bhaisajyaguru and Sakyamuni aspect

Post by pilgrim »

Its a rupa , a visual representation. I think it is not difficult to still treat the rupa as a representation of the Sakyamuni Buddha
anthbrown84

Post by anthbrown84 »

Well, we aren't worshipiung Shakyamunis physical form, nor the visual representation of it in the Rupa, we are bowing/worshiping the Buddha that it represents, the one who knows... that goes beyond form/material anyway

I think it is fine, and if you have an intrest in the mahyana then it is probably even more fine to be honest!
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate
Pumo

Post by Pumo »

Yeah, I got similar responses from the sister site, and as for now I'm feeling very happy with my figure.

In fact, after asistance from both communities, my own Buddhist studies and my teachers, I'm finally being able to feel a bit of the bliss of the insuperable Dhamma by every reminder I have of it, be it either by a figure or painting, doesn't matter from which tradition it stems, or if it's a representation of a Buddha, a Bodhisattva, a Yidam, etc.

Even if my meditation practice is still very primitive and I have a long way to go, I'm feeling some of the of bliss that comes from the Buddha(s), the Dhamma and the Sangha.
'may all beings be happy at heart.' - Karaniya Metta Sutta :buddha1: