How do Theravadins handle statue ettiquite?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
MaeCheeWannabe

How do Theravadins handle statue ettiquite?

Post by MaeCheeWannabe »

I am still new and learning a lot, and my Thai teachers do not speak enough English for me to explain my question. I recently aquired an ancient Buddha statue for my home altar. Its from circa 700ad to 1300 the latest. Appearantly it was buried for centuries and is hollowed bronze with the bottom seal broken.

It was recently unhearthed in Thailand and sent to me with all government export antiquities seals and paperwork. My questions are concerning what is protocol for these types of Buddha rupas? I know Tibetans have many strict protocols and would have high lama bless and fill the statue. What is the Theravadin way? I am very curious. I'm not superstitious or concerned about "getting it right"... Just hungry for knowledge. I would like to honor the Theravadin way for myself.
:anjali:
Mae Khao Noi
Cittasanto

Re: How do Theravadins handle statue ettiquite?

Post by Cittasanto »

as far as I know there is no Theravadin way in this.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

MaeCheeWannabe wrote:My questions are concerning what is protocol for these types of Buddha rupas? I know Tibetans have many strict protocols and would have high lama bless and fill the statue.
If the Buddha rupa is really an old one, and not one of the thousands of modern Thai rupas that have been treated to make them look old, then the eye-opening and saksit-infusing ceremonies, and all the other superstitious mummeries, will already have been carried out. It only remains for you to place it in some elevated location in your home and to treat it respectfully.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

MaeCheeWannabe wrote:I am still new and learning a lot, and my Thai teachers do not speak enough English for me to explain my question. I recently aquired an ancient Buddha statue for my home altar. Its from circa 700ad to 1300 the latest. Appearantly it was buried for centuries and is hollowed bronze with the bottom seal broken.

It was recently unhearthed in Thailand and sent to me with all government export antiquities seals and paperwork. My questions are concerning what is protocol for these types of Buddha rupas? I know Tibetans have many strict protocols and would have high lama bless and fill the statue. What is the Theravadin way? I am very curious. I'm not superstitious or concerned about "getting it right"... Just hungry for knowledge. I would like to honor the Theravadin way for myself.
The only customs related to preparing the statue are the ones that the Ven. Dhammanando has already mentioned, and of course even they are purely a matter of custom.

In terms of customs dealing with the statue after you take it home, it is a sign of respect to keep it on a surface so that the top of the images head is above the head level of people sitting down, don't point your feet towards a Buddha image, and it is considered auspicious to have it face east.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
MaeCheeWannabe

Post by MaeCheeWannabe »

:anjali: thank you! Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
:anjali:
Mae Khao Noi
lionking

Post by lionking »

Make sure to select a statue that exude Karuna (loving kindness), Metta (compassion) and Mudita (sympathetic joy).

Etiquette is how you conduct yourself in a social environment. Here you are making a connection by remembering the 3 qualities of the Buddha - so Etiquette is not relevant.

You are not praying asking for things. Also remember Buddha no longer exists.

The idea here is purifying your own mind by remembering noble qualities of the compassionate one. Observe how by remembering the qualities of the Buddha your mind fills with joy and contentment. That should be your goal.
grr ..
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

lionking wrote:Etiquette is how you conduct yourself in a social environment. Here you are making a connection by remembering the 3 qualities of the Buddha - so Etiquette is not relevant.
Etiquette canbe applied outside of social environments. that is simply one of the meanings.
such as this second definition from
dictionary.com wrote:a prescribed or accepted code of usage in matters of ceremony, as at a court or in official or other formal observances.
if the ceremony is being treated formally it applies. other people being thereis not important.
Some practitioners treat rupas as though the Buddha or whom it represents is actually embodied in the rupa is common, and should the object should not be treated as though it isn't, simply because that is what oneself does.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill