Questions about Online Buddhist Forum

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
BunnyGiraffe

Questions about Online Buddhist Forum

Post by BunnyGiraffe »

Hi everyone. I'm new to Buddhism and I am taking a Buddhism class in college right now.
Here are my two questions that I want to ask and get some responses, because I cannot really find the answers in class.
First, what bring you guys here to discuss Buddhist practice online? Do you also participate in offline Buddhist communities? What's the difference between the offline and online forum? Which one is more helpful to you?
Second, my grandparents back to China believe in karma and incarnation. They believe that the suffering you are experiencing in current life is caused by the bad karma from your past life because you did something bad. Therefore, you have to pay back in this life, being mercy and keep practicing Buddhism so that you will have a favorable rebirth after you die.(especially when you have serious disease or you have issues with your family and marriage) Do you believe in it?
Thank you so much and I'm looking forward to hearing your response, so that I can have a better understanding of Buddhism (i think).
Digity

Re: Questions about Online Buddhist Forum

Post by Digity »

I visit this forum to ask questions and share whatever understanding I have of the Dhamma with others. The Buddha placed a great value on having a community that was interested in the Dhamma. This is merely an online representation of such a community. Ideally, one could use the online forum plus a real life sangha, but a lot of people don't have access to both so having this online presence is especially important, because it's the only option for some people.

Karma isn't so much a punishment, it's more of a this-that relationship. For instance, if you are ill-tempered and angry with people all the time then you're creating the conditions for being ugly in a future life. It's not "punishment", it's just that being angry is "ugly" and being ugly leads to the ugliness. It's not payback, it's that you planted ugly seeds and then those ugly seeds start growing and their fruits are ugly. Do I believe in it? In some ways, karma is very obvious. Next time someone gets angry and ill-tempered look at them. Aren't they ugly? Don't you lose respect for them? Aren't they sowing bad seeds? Look at another person who shows goodwill in difficult situations. Aren't they much more attractive? Don't you have more respect for that sort of person? Wouldn't you say they're sowing good seeds?
nekete

Post by nekete »

BunnyGiraffe wrote:(...)
First, what bring you guys here to discuss Buddhist practice online? Do you also participate in offline Buddhist communities? What's the difference between the offline and online forum? Which one is more helpful to you? (...)

Is this the first time in your life you take part in a forum located on internet? Because if not, my friend, you should know the answer.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

BunnyGiraffe wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to Buddhism and I am taking a Buddhism class in college right now.
Here are my two questions that I want to ask and get some responses, because I cannot really find the answers in class.
First, what bring you guys here to discuss Buddhist practice online? Do you also participate in offline Buddhist communities? What's the difference between the offline and online forum? Which one is more helpful to you?
I live in a rural area without other Buddhists so online participation is all I have.
BunnyGiraffe wrote:Second, my grandparents back to China believe in karma and incarnation. They believe that the suffering you are experiencing in current life is caused by the bad karma from your past life because you did something bad. Therefore, you have to pay back in this life, being mercy and keep practicing Buddhism so that you will have a favorable rebirth after you die.(especially when you have serious disease or you have issues with your family and marriage) Do you believe in it?
Thank you so much and I'm looking forward to hearing your response, so that I can have a better understanding of Buddhism (i think).
While it's true that our actions have an effect on our future lives, that doesn't mean that everything that happens in this life is caused by something we did in a previous life. Also, in Buddhism one's final goal isn't just to get a better rebirth, but to attain Awakening which is beyond birth and death all together.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

BunnyGiraffe wrote:Hi everyone. I'm new to Buddhism and I am taking a Buddhism class in college right now.
First, what bring you guys here to discuss Buddhist practice online?
I am an agoraphobe with panic disorder who cannot go in person to Viharas because the closest one is hours away in a car and I cannot drive because phobia of cars.
Do you also participate in offline Buddhist communities?
I give danna electronically, often asking various viharas what they need and send them by post. I think that counts?
What's the difference between the offline and online forum?
Benefits of Offline: A direct relationship with a helpful teachers and experienced meditators
Drawbacks of Offline: I am terrified of open spaces, and I cannot drive. The only chance I have of visiting a legitimate vihara that isn't a cult is to confront my crippling mental illnesses.

Benefits of Online: Direct references to many suttas, Pali-English Dictionary, Helpful Bhantes and Ayyes Upasika and Upasakas who are unafraid of helping those willing to help themselves.
Drawbacks of Online: Hard to find trustworthy sources on many online forums, and often you find rabblerousers who aren't interested in Buddhism at all and are fond of Western Transcendentalist teachings (etc) fluffy bunnyism (etc)

The drawbacks of online I found to be difficult, so I went alone a long time like a Rhinoceros:
That is of course, until I found this community. They are reliable, learned in Vinaya, learned in the Pitaka, and learned in practice, learned in life experiences.

Which one is more helpful to you?
Both! We could not have any help from any of the Bhantes if they were not in real life gone forth, AND willing to declare the Dhamma online. They are a refuge for those who like me are a recluse.

Second, my grandparents back to China believe in karma and incarnation. They believe that the suffering you are experiencing in current life is caused by the bad karma from your past life because you did something bad. Therefore, you have to pay back in this life, being mercy and keep practicing Buddhism so that you will have a favorable rebirth after you die.(especially when you have serious disease or you have issues with your family and marriage)
This runs into the problem of the issue of "Not self", so the correct answer to this is because there is ignorance, there arises fabrications, a collection of things that we call mind and body, and from mind and body we have the six sense doors and then the arising of consciousness that relays a being information, and from this information we have contact which we then label it with a feeling, "Pleasant or unpleasant". As a result of the feelings of pleasantness and unpleasantness we begin to crave what is pleasant to us, and have aversion to what is not pleasant to us. Because of this craving we begin to cling to these fabrications and formations, and control them. From this clinging comes "Becoming", which is what ultimately causes arising of birth. From birth there comes change which ultimately leads to aging, and then finally there is a falling of that phenomenon, which we know as death.

Since our physical forms are impersonal, subject to change, are impermanent, and can often cause us dissatisfaction, physical forms change and become something else and are born into something else.

Matter is not Created, nor Destroyed

Since our emotions are impersonal, subject to change, are impermanent, and can often cause us dissatisfaction, Emotions change and become something else and are born into something else.

If you could choose to feel happiness then why aren't you feeling happiness in the here and now? Is there ever only one emotion you have forever? What happens to the emotion when it disappears?

Since our consciousness is impersonal, subject to change, is impermanent, and can often cause us dissatisfaction, consciousness changes and become something else and are born into something else.

Why can you not will your consciousness to expand to all things? When you sleep do you no longer exist? When you are sedated or unconscious do you cease to exist as an entity?

Since our sensations are impersonal, subject to change, are impermanent, and can often cause us dissatisfaction, sensations change and become something else and are born into something else.

Why cannot I choose to have the sight of a mantis shrimp? Why can a colorblind person not see differences in colors? What happens when we lose our sight or hearing?

Since our perceptions are impersonal, subject to change, are impermanent, and can often cause us dissatisfaction, perceptions change and become something else and are born into something else.

Have you ever had self-defeating trains of thought? If so, why is it so difficult to control your own thoughts and will them away? Why can one not simply refrain from being greedy, stupid, or hateful at will even when they sincerely wish to be? Why is directing thoughts to one point (Concentration) and awareness and attention difficult? What happens when a thought ceases to exist and passes from your mind?
Do you believe in it?
I believe that deeds and their effects have a lasting impression on existence, and ultimately, that those deeds and the above 5 described phenomenon condition themselves based on how they conduct themselves by Dhamma.

If the deeds are unwholesome, it weighs down the various phenomenon. If deeds are wholesome, it lifts them up, but the highest aspiration is to not be caught up in the endless treadmill that rises and falls, and to feel contentment and perfection which grants release from the ups and the downs.

What is your opinion?
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
khlawng

Post by khlawng »

BunnyGiraffe wrote: ...
I am lucky enough to be born in an asian country that embraces both modern technology and traditional religious believes.
So I am comfortable with the fact that not everything can be explained by applying science and logic.
I find the online community, in particular, our western dhamma friends, a great resouce in providing scholarly discussion and arguments on the dhamma.
I rely on my offline community to continously strengthen my meditation development and faith through traditional activities like chanting.
For me both provide knowledge in different areas and reinforces my understanding of the buddha's teaching.
BunnyGiraffe wrote: Second, my grandparents back to China believe in karma and incarnation. They believe that the suffering you are experiencing in current life is caused by the bad karma from your past life because you did something bad. Therefore, you have to pay back in this life, being mercy and keep practicing Buddhism so that you will have a favorable rebirth after you die.(especially when you have serious disease or you have issues with your family and marriage) Do you believe in it?
Yes I do believe in it.
But I also believe not all suffering can be attributed to bad karma from your past life.
A lot of suffering can be directly traced to cause and effect from this life.
Sickness and diseases can be due to a choice of not exercising or constant craving for unhealthy food as an example.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum.
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Hi everyone. I'm new to Buddhism and I am taking a Buddhism class in college right now.

It's great that you wrote in to Dhamma Wheel. There are a lot of very thoughtful and experienced Buddhists here.

You'll be sure to get some answers on this forum. Maybe your class wil come to know Dhamma Wheel.

Dhamma Wheel has a number of members who are not just skilled Buddhist practitioners, but there are a number of monastics that sometimes weigh in on various subjects. It's a great site to be exposed to new ideas, to process ideas, and gather information. Like many here, I also participate in a "real world" community, or sangha. For example, at a Thai Wat, I am immersed in the culture, traditions and the face to face contact with other members of the sangha. We chant and meditate together, and when there are questions we have other members and the Bhikkhus and/or Bhikkhunis to turn to for help. To me, the difference between online sanghas and an actual wat, temple, or zendo is like the difference between reading a book about Thailand, and actually visiting Thailand. The book can tell you a lot, but the experience of being in community is a fully immersed experience.

Second, my grandparents back to China believe in karma and incarnation. They believe that the suffering you are experiencing in current life is caused by the bad karma from your past life because you did something bad. Therefore, you have to pay back in this life, being mercy and keep practicing Buddhism so that you will have a favorable rebirth after you die.(especially when you have serious disease or you have issues with your family and marriage) Do you believe in it?

Others here have answered this question well. My view is that karma, or kamma, is only action, and that the actions we make and take have a cause and effect relationship with the outcomes in our life. By acting skillfully, we generate bright kamma which tends to lead to positive outcomes. By generating negative or dark kamma, we will tend to see negative outcomes in our lives. Yet, the causality is many times not immediate, and we know from experience that people who sometimes lie, cheat and steal sometimes live happy, wealthy lives. There are people that act positively, who suffer negative outcomes. This may be due to past kamma, from previous lives, but with rebirth, the kamma that is carried forth is not so refined as to be directly linked to negative outcomes in the next life. If you have an illness in this life, it may be more likely causal to your inherited characteristics from your parents, or from your daily health habits, than that from the kamma of past actions of prior lives. I tend to disagree with people that feel that people that suffer injuries, such as being hurt in a train derailment, or a tsunami, had earned this fate by virtue of kamma, only. The laws of kamma are very complex, and how kamma manifests in life or in events is uncertain. We can never truly know why good things happen to bad people, and why sometimes bad things happen to good people...it is due to cause and effect, to kamma, but we can never be sure of the causes and conditions completely. Knowing this, we endeavor to act skillfully, to act with compassion toward ourselves and others, and to practice ( the Noble Eightfold Path http://www.beyondthenet.net/dhamma/nobleEight.htm ) with the goal of releasing ourselves from the fetters that cause suffering. We can offset to some degree the dark kamma in our lives by the cultivation of bright kamma. Once released from the fetters that cause suffering, we are liberated, or enlightened, we are no longer to be affected by kamma. We practice this Path the Buddha taught with a goal of this liberation, in this life, or in a subsequent life.

No, thanks to you for writing in, and if you need any further information, or resources for the study of traditional Buddhism, be sure to write back. There is a lot to learn, but it is all good news and a very positive Path for you to undertake.