understanding of realms according to Theravada

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Ervin

understanding of realms according to Theravada

Post by Ervin »

Can somebody explain to me please about different realms in Buddhism?

For instance, is hell the state of your mind in our human realm or is it a place where our mind goes to suffer?

My question is to put it simply are they metaphors or literal meanings?

And I would like to point out that in this life we can see people going through "hell" and we can also see people having great lives like gods or demigods
santa100

Re: understanding of realms accordinng to Theravada

Post by santa100 »

The suttas indicate a literal meaning of those realms since they frequently use the the phrase: "..in the breakup of the body, after death, he/she reappears in the plane of (good/bad) destination..": http://www.accesstoinsight.org/search_r ... &sa=Search

More details on those realms are available here
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ervin,
Ervin wrote:My question is to put it simply are they metaphors or literal meanings?
They are what is experienced... and if they are experienced, does their ontological status actually matter?

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Good suggestion Retro!
Never thought about it.
When you are happy or in pain, it does not matter whether you are a human, animal, bird, man , woman, rich or poor.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”