Watch of the night?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
2600htz

Watch of the night?

Post by 2600htz »

Hello:

Do monks follow a certain practice during the night hours?, i.

"And how is a monk devoted to wakefulness? There is the case where a monk during the day, sitting & pacing back & forth, cleanses his mind of any qualities that would hold the mind in check. During the first watch of the night,[1] sitting & pacing back & forth, he cleanses his mind of any qualities that would hold the mind in check. During the second watch of the night,[2] reclining on his right side, he takes up the lion's posture, one foot placed on top of the other, mindful, alert, with his mind set on getting up [either as soon as he awakens or at a particular time]. During the last watch of the night,[3] sitting & pacing back & forth, he cleanses his mind of any qualities that would hold the mind in check. This is how a monk is devoted to wakefulness.

Thanks!.
mikenz66

Re: Watch of the night?

Post by mikenz66 »

My understanding is that this is describing three four-hour periods, therefore recommending sleeping for only four hours. I gather from listening to talks by some western practitioners that this regime is encouraged today at some meditation monasteries, such as U Pandita's monastery in Burma.

:anjali:
Mike