Does karma only operate on the mind ?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
placebo23

Does karma only operate on the mind ?

Post by placebo23 »

Hello,
sometimes I hear from others that karma or the fruit of karma is only responsible for mind phenomens (feelings, mood). Other times I hear that karma is even responsible if one has wealth and success in life, so that for an evildoer there will come misfortune events in the future and a gooddoer will have wealth, success, a more peaceful life etc ?

What is the correct view ? Does Karma drive the entire world and everything which is happening to me so that even the body (which can be healthy or unhealthy) is a visual manifestation of karma ? Is there collective karma ?

Thank you
Virgo

Re: Does karma only operate on the mind ?

Post by Virgo »

I find this is a good explanation:

http://www.abhidhamma.org/Para7.htm
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi placebo23,

This is a difficult and deep question, and you are likely to find a number of explanations, which may seem contradictory. In trying to make sense of the issue remember that our entire experience is influenced by our mind.
"And what is the origination of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

This essay may be helpful:
Questions on Kamma, by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Whenever we perform an action with intention, such action deposits a "seed" in the mind, a seed with a potency to bring about effects in the future. These effects correspond to the nature of the original action. They follow from the inherent ethical tone of the action. Our unwholesome kamma comes back to us and lead to our harm and suffering. Our wholesome kamma eventually returns to us and leads to our happiness and well being.
:anjali:
Mike
Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Thanissaro Bikhu provides a good explanation of the different types of karma and their relevance to your practice in the below sections of his "Wings to Awakening" anthology.

Kamma and the ending of Kamma

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#part1-b

Sillfulness - this section is also helpful for understanding kamma

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ml#part1-a
placebo23

Post by placebo23 »

Thank you both of you :namaste:
I will do some reading and understanding :coffee:
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

placebo23 wrote:Hello,
sometimes I hear from others that karma or the fruit of karma is only responsible for mind phenomens (feelings, mood). Other times I hear that karma is even responsible if one has wealth and success in life, so that for an evildoer there will come misfortune events in the future and a gooddoer will have wealth, success, a more peaceful life etc ?

What is the correct view ? Does Karma drive the entire world and everything which is happening to me so that even the body (which can be healthy or unhealthy) is a visual manifestation of karma ? Is there collective karma ?

Thank you
karma is what you said it was. yes its drives Everything in your Life! :anjali:
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
chal4oye

Post by chal4oye »

From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.?
ES06

Post by ES06 »

villkorkarma wrote:
placebo23 wrote:Hello,

Thank you
karma is what you said it was. yes its drives Everything in your Life! :anjali:
There are five niyamas that drive things and karma is one of them. They are utu niyama (laws of nature), bija niyama (biology, heritage etc), citta niyama (mental activity), kamma niyama (action) and Dhamma niyama ("laws of Dhamma", including three marks of existence) They all made yourself what you are, not only karma.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The best I have read in this topic:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/good_evil_beyond.pdf
:reading:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”