Rituals and Practices? (Discovering Theravada)

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
lkearns

Rituals and Practices? (Discovering Theravada)

Post by lkearns »

Hello everyone,

For about a year now, I have been making my way following Buddhist teachings and practicing frequent meditation; I have begun to take an interest in formal Buddhist rituals and practices, but I really have no idea where to begin!

I am looking to learn about simple rituals that I can practice daily, alongside meditation, and I would also like to learn about the ethical use and creation of a small home shrine.

Thank you all :)

:namaste:
hermitwin

Re: Rituals and Practices?

Post by hermitwin »

Buddhist Veneration
In the Theravada tradition, it is customary to pay homage to the Buddha, recite the Three Refuges and undertake to observe the Pancca Sila (Pansil) on visiting a place of worship or at the start of a Buddhist ceremony. One can recite the following stanzas by oneself or invite a Buddhist monk to administer them.
The monk will recite each stanza in the ancient language of Pali and the devotee should repeat it after him

Vandana (Homage)

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa Honour to the Blessed One, the Exalted One, the fully Enlightened One
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa Honour to the Blessed One, the Exalted One, the fully Enlightened One

Tisarana (The Three Refuges)

Buddham saranam gacchami I go to the Buddha as my refuge
Dhammam saranam gacchami I go to the Dhamma as my refuge
Sangham saranam gacchami I go to the Sangha as my refuge
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

lkearns

Post by lkearns »

ah yes I would chant this before meditation in the morning... Is that an appropriate application of the chant?
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

i think so, I chant it as often as I like.
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

I chant the homage to the triple gem after the homage and the refuges, also bowing before each refuge. It makes a nice daily devotion.

http://www.chantpali.org/homage.html
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
mikenz66

Re: Rituals and Practices? (Discovering Theravada)

Post by mikenz66 »

Discussion about attachment to rites and rituals split off to here: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=18563

:anjali:
Mike