YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Theravada & bodhisattvas - Dhamma Wheel

Theravada & bodhisattvas

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
shaunc

Theravada & bodhisattvas

Postby shaunc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:01 am

Hi, I was just wondering what the theravadan position is on summoning help from bodhisattvas (Kuan yin etc) devas, deities & other life forms that I can't prove or explain. I've heard 2 conflicting views on this. 1 is that theravadan Buddhism is quite atheistic & won't accept things that are outside this world & the other view is that it's not all that different from Mahayana Buddhism in this respect, all though different bodhisattvas, devas & deities are involved.

santa100

Re: Theravada & bodhisattvas

Postby santa100 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:47 pm

The Buddha was a bodhisatta in his many previous lives before His last life as prince Siddhattha. The future Buddha Metteyya also has to fulfill His bodhisatta function before becoming the future Buddha. While Kuan Yin wasn't specifically mentioned in the Nikayas, someone somewhere is following the bodhisatta path to carry on the great Buddhas lineage. Anyway, if someone prayed to Kuan Yin everyday but s/he never abstain from killing, stealing, sexual misconduct, lying, and taking intoxicants then it'd be difficult to see how the bodhisattvas and other deities would be able to help that individual when his/her unwholesome kamma bears fruit. So it all has to start with the individual's efforts like observing the five precepts, the eightfold noble path, the brahmaviharas, etc.. These are the foundation that all Buddhist schools share in common. So next time if one prays to Kuan Yin wholeheartedly and have yet to see any result, s/he should start with the foundation mentioned above first..

Zenainder

Postby Zenainder » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:13 pm

My blog:

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:37 pm

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 pm

:goodpost: and great answers!
Great way to start the day. :)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

shaunc

Postby shaunc » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks for the replys. I do keep the 5 precepts as best I can & also follow the noble 8 fold path. But as you follow your spiritual journey there are times when a bit of outside help is both welcomed & comforting. What I'm trying to find out is whether if as a Theravadan Buddhist you. Were to petition outside help, whether that would be considered bad Buddhism (wrong view) or not, or would it be considered neither here nor there. Thanks.

santa100

Postby santa100 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Return to “Discovering Theravāda”