How to ask to be under a Bhikkhu's guidance / teaching?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible in order to double-check alignment to Theravāda orthodoxy.
Zenainder

How to ask to be under a Bhikkhu's guidance / teaching?

Post by Zenainder »

Hello forum!

I want to involve my practice within a temple (a struggle of mine when it concerns organized religion, it is slowly falling away) and, more particularly, learn under a specific bhikkhu. At this time, I've only met in person once with the bhikkhu I have in mind and I want to know if there is a proper way in asking to learn under him? I am uncertain if that is practiced between laity and monastics (beyond group settings). I plan on attending dhamma talks and group meditation teachings (although I still struggle with the role of recitations / chantings).

Do lay persons traditionally learn directly under bhikkhu's?

I really hope to progress in my practice as correctly and diligently as possible and hope to subject myself to direct guidance of a venerable monk! :)

Advice?

:)
Metta,

Zen
Bakmoon

Re: How to ask to be under a Bhikkhu's guidance / teaching?

Post by Bakmoon »

I'm surprised this question hasn't been answered yet.

In the Theravada tradition, there is no established custom of lay people formally requesting instruction under a specific monk. You can just consider a particular monk to be your teacher and listen to them, but there isn't any sort of formal structure for it.

For monks, there are certain things like it. When a monk ordains, he is supposed to learn the Dhamma from his preceptor (the one who ordains him) or by a teacher designated by his preceptor for 5 years, but of course, that's just for monks.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.