equanimity anyway beeing attacked?

A forum for beginners and members of other Buddhist traditions to ask questions about Theravāda (The Way of the Elders). Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.

equanimity anyway beeing attacked?

Postby villkorkarma » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:30 pm

thus one have reached equanimity can that person be fysical attacked?
dont hurt anyone in any sort of way
villkorkarma

Re: equanimity anyway beeing attacked?

Postby polarbuddha101 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:18 pm

An equanimous person may indeed be attacked. Even some arahants (Angulimala and Moggallana) got beat up back in the Buddha's day due to the ripening of bad kamma.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:40 pm

villkorkarma wrote:thus one have reached equanimity can that person be fysical attacked?

if you are equanimous you are equanimous. you can still be assaulted, they don't negate each other.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby manas » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:36 pm

villkorkarma wrote:thus one have reached equanimity can that person be fysical attacked?

I think you are referring to this very advanced meditative state which renders one immune from physical attack, is that it? I can recall reading about it once, but I don't remember which one it was. In any case one was only safe while sitting in that state I think, but not while walking around during the day, etc. (if memory serves me correctly). It was only temporary physical protection.

:anjali:
manas

Return to Discovering Theravāda