Chanting booklet used by our temple (pdf)

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
fabianfred

Chanting booklet used by our temple (pdf)

Post by fabianfred »

This pdf is of the chanting book which I have put together from various sources and a lot of typing by myself. The Thai temple I am in has both morning and evening chanting and on observance days the lay people join in so on those days we also chant the Thai translation after each Pali stanza.
Most of the Pali has English translations too.
The Thai/Roman script transliterations I made up myself to sound as close to the Thai as possible (based upon my own personal study and practice of Thai for twenty years.)
There is a Thai chant called 'Chiiwit Nooy' which is untranslated but is popular with the young... and I have a video of it on my Youtube account here...

The chants at the end starting with 'Orgassa Orgassa...' are chants in Northern Thai to make aspirations before doing a meditation session for about ten minutes together....followed by the dedication and sharing of merits obtained.

Remembering that each temple in Thailand, and elsewhere, all do their chants slightly differently, so this book will not be able to be used everywhere without some editing and/or skipping of chants.

I forgot to say that you need the pali Times font installed for the Pali script to show properly.
Attachments
eveningchanting wide9.pdf
(166.7 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by fabianfred on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuttadhammo

Re: Chanting booklet used by our temple (pdf)

Post by yuttadhammo »

fabianfred wrote:The chants at the end starting with 'Orgassa Orgassa...' are chants in Northern Thai to make aspirations before doing a meditation session for about ten minutes together....followed by the dedication and sharing of merits obtained.
Sorry, for finding that funny... starting a word with "orgas" is probably risky in that way... :embarassed: The word is "okaasa", which is Pali for "occasion". The meaning is, "please give me the opportunity (ขอโอกาส)".
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

thank you for correcting me....I know that you have studied Pali and I have not so I bow to your superior knowledge.
As we know there is no single correct method of transliteration from Thai to English, so I simply invented my own, to make it readable by one who has no Thai and to get close as possible to the sounds they hear.

I can read the Thai texts OK, but this book is aimed at the foreign guests of Monk for a Month who cannot.
BTW we have a new Vipassana meditation teacher here at our temple, who you might know from Wat Doi Suthep days.... no longer wearing long hair.
fabianfred

Post by fabianfred »

here is the font
Attachments
palitimettfembed.zip
(409.71 KiB) Downloaded 123 times