Cone's "A Dictionary of Pali"

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
nowheat

Cone's "A Dictionary of Pali"

Post by nowheat »

Does anyone have a copy of this (as I understand it, incomplete) Dictonary? If so, is it a good resource for A-Kh, with more up-to-date definitions than many of the dictonaries have? And if you do have it handy, can you tell me what it says for "atta"?

I cannot find any reviews of it online, nor even snippets of it anywhere.

Thank you in advance.
tiltbillings

Re: Cone's "A Dictionary of Pali"

Post by tiltbillings »

God Google answers another petition:

http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qs ... 5006400197" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
nowheat

Re: Cone's "A Dictionary of Pali"

Post by nowheat »

I tried Google, honest I did! : ) Well okay I admit it, I searched Google Books. Was that the mistake I made? But darn! It's only a partial review, the part surveying the introduction... I'd have to sign up to get the rest.

Still hoping someone owns this volume and can tell me what it says about "attan" Still hoping someone actually owns the volume and can tell me if it's worth having for more than its history of Pali studies.

Thanks in advance.