Pali Term: Sati

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Re: Pali Term: Sati

Postby tiltbillings » Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 am

Alex123 wrote:
porpoise wrote:So why do you think this phrase is included? And is it actually referring to an aspect of mindfulness, or to an additional quality?

IMHO, one needs to remember Dhamma principles (such as anatta) when observing the present states.
Probably not, but then that is a discussion for a different sub-forum.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Re: Pali Term: Sati

Postby Dmytro » Thu May 16, 2013 11:26 am

Alex123 wrote:IMHO, one needs to remember Dhamma principles (such as anatta) when observing the present states.

Yes, such a practice is described in Ahuneyya vagga (AN iv.14):

8. Anattānupassīsuttaṃ

‘‘Sattime, bhikkhave, puggalā āhuneyyā pāhuneyyā dakkhiṇeyyā añjalikaraṇīyā anuttaraṃ puññakkhettaṃ lokassa. Katame satta? Idha, bhikkhave, ekacco puggalo sabbasaṅkhāresu anattānupassī viharati, anattasaññī, anattapaṭisaṃvedī satataṃ samitaṃ abbokiṇṇaṃ cetasā adhimuccamāno paññāya pariyogāhamāno. So āsavānaṃ khayā anāsavaṃ cetovimuttiṃ paññāvimuttiṃ diṭṭheva dhamme sayaṃ abhiññā sacchikatvā upasampajja viharati. Ayaṃ, bhikkhave, paṭhamo puggalo āhuneyyo pāhuneyyo dakkhiṇeyyo añjalikaraṇīyo anuttaraṃ puññakkhettaṃ lokassa.

18 Non-Self (translation by Bhikkhu Bodhi)

"Bhikkhus, there are these seven kinds of persons who are worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, worthy of reverential salutation, an unsurpassed field of merit for the world. What seven?
(1) "Here, bhikkhus, some person dwells contemplating non-self in all phenomena, perceiving non-self, experiencing, constantly, and uninterruptedly focusing on it with the mind, fathoming it with wisdom. With the destruction of taints, he has realized for himself with direct knowledge, in this very life, the taintless liberation of mind, liberation by wisdom, and having entered upon it, he dwells in it. This is the first kind of person worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, worthy of reverential salutation, an unsurpassed field of merit for the world. ..."

Satipatthana sutta, being concise, emphasizes the result of non-appropriation - when the consciousness does no longer need a support, and remains unsupported :

Atthi kāyoti vā panassa sati paccupaṭṭhitā hoti yāvadeva ñāṇamattāya patissatimattāya. Anissito ca viharati. Na ca kiñci loke upādiyati.

"Or indeed his mindfulness is established with the thought: 'The body exists,' to the extent necessary just for knowledge and remembrance, and he lives independent and clings to naught in the world."

which, paradoxically, is attained with the use of special meditational support:

1146. Ārammaṇe taṃ balasā nibandhisaṃ
Nāgaṃ'va thambhamhi daḷhāya rajjuyā,
Taṃ me suguttaṃ satiyā subhāvitaṃ
Anissitaṃ sabbabhavesu hehisi.

51. I'll bind you by strength to the meditation-base
as elephant to post by a strong rope bound;
well-guarded by me, well-grown with mindfulness,
you shall, by all becomings, be without support.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .khan.html

Tasmātiha te gahapati, evaṃ sikkhitabbaṃ: 'na cakkhuṃ upādiyissāmī. Na ca me cakkhunissitaṃ viññāṇaṃ bhavissatī'ti. Evaṃ hi te gahapati, sikkhitabbaṃ. Tasmātiha te gahapati, evaṃ sikkhitabbaṃ: 'na sotaṃ upādiyissāmi. Na ca me sotanissitaṃ viññāṇaṃ bhavissatī'ti. Evaṃ hi te gahapati, sikkhitabbaṃ. Tasmātiha te gahapati, evaṃ sikkhitabbaṃ: 'na ghānaṃ upādiyissāmī. Na ca me ghānanissitaṃ viññāṇaṃ bhavissatī'ti. Evaṃ hi te gahapati, sikkhitabbaṃ. Tasmātiha te gahapati, evaṃ sikkhitabbaṃ: 'na jivhaṃ upādiyissāmi. Na ca me jivhanissitaṃ viññāṇaṃ bhavissatī'ti. Evaṃ hi te gahapati, sikkhitabbaṃ.
Tasmātiha te gahapati, evaṃ sikkhitabbaṃ: 'na kāyaṃ upādiyissāmi. Na ca me kāyanissitaṃ viññāṇaṃ bhavissatī'ti. Evaṃ hi te gahapati, sikkhitabbaṃ. Tasmātiha te gahapati, evaṃ sikkhitabbaṃ: 'na manaṃ upādiyissāmī. Na ca me manonissitaṃ viññāṇaṃ bhavissatī'ti. Evaṃ hi te gahapati, sikkhītabbaṃ.

[Ven. Sariputta:] "Then, householder, you should train yourself in this way: 'I won't cling to the eye; my consciousness will not be dependent on the eye.' That's how you should train yourself. 'I won't cling to the ear... nose... tongue... body; my consciousness will not be dependent on the body.' ... 'I won't cling to the intellect; my consciousness will not be dependent on the intellect.' That's how you should train yourself.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Buddha gives similar instructions to Mettagu in Sutta-nipata:

‘‘Yaṃ kiñci sampajānāsi, (mettagūti bhagavā)
Uddhaṃ adho tiriyañcāpi majjhe;
Etesu nandiñca nivesanañca, panujja viññāṇaṃ bhave na tiṭṭhe.

‘‘Evaṃvihārī sato appamatto, bhikkhu caraṃ hitvā mamāyitāni;
Jātiṃ jaraṃ sokapariddavañca, idheva vidvā pajaheyya dukkhaṃ’’.

Whatever you're alert to,
above, below,
across, in between:
dispelling any delight,
any laying claim
to those things,
consciousness should not take a stance
in becoming.
The monk who dwells thus
— mindful, heedful —
letting go of his sense of mine,
knowing right here would abandon