The translation of samānattatānaṃ in AN 9.5

Explore the ancient language of the Tipitaka and Theravāda commentaries
starter

The translation of samānattatānaṃ in AN 9.5

Post by starter »

Greetings!

Thanks to the beneficial work of culaavuso and Unrul3r [The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha - Thematic Guide [http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19931], I read the suttas "Sustaining wholesome relationships 4:32, 4:256, 8:24, 9:5". I'm wondering about the meaning of "samānattatānaṃ" (usually translated as "impartiality" or "equality"). After comparing AN 9.5 and its Chinese agama partial parallel EA 26, I tend to agree with the translation of "samānattatānaṃ" as "share equally with others"(與他人同甘共苦) in http://buddhaspace.org/main/modules/dok ... C%E5%88%A9), instead of merely treating others impartially or equally.

From AN 9.5:
"Katamañca, bhikkhave, saṅgāhabalaṃ? Cattārimāni, bhikkhave, saṅga­ha­vatthūni– dānaṃ, peyyavajjaṃ, atthacariyā, samānattatā. Etadaggaṃ, bhikkhave, dānānaṃ yadidaṃ dhammadānaṃ. Etadaggaṃ, bhikkhave, peyyavajjānaṃ yadidaṃ atthikassa ohitasotassa punappunaṃ dhammaṃ deseti. Etadaggaṃ, bhikkhave, atthacariyānaṃ yadidaṃ assaddhaṃ saddhā­sam­padāya samādapeti niveseti patiṭṭhāpeti, dussīlaṃ sīlasampadāya … macchariṃ cāgasampadāya … duppaññaṃ paññāsampadāya samādapeti niveseti patiṭṭhāpeti. Etadaggaṃ, bhikkhave, samānattatānaṃ yadidaṃ sotāpanno sotāpannassa samānatto, sakadāgāmī sakadāgāmissa samānatto, anāgāmī anāgāmissa samānatto, arahā arahato samānatto. Idaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave, saṅgāhabalaṃ."

Translation based upon my personal understanding:

"Bhikkhus, what is the power of sustaining fellowship?

Bhikkhus, these are four means for sustaining fellowship: giving, kind speech, beneficent conduct, and sharing equally with others. Bhikkhus, out of giving, the foremost is giving gifts of the Teaching. Out of kind words the foremost is explaining the Teaching again and again to those who attend carefully until the meaning is attained. Bhikkhus, out of beneficent conduct the foremost is establishing those who have no faith in faith, no virtues in virtues, who are stingy in generosity, and foolish in wisdom. Bhikkhus, out of sharing equally with others, the foremost is being a stream enterer making another a stream enterer, being an once returner making another a once returner, being a non-returner making another a non-returner, and being an arahant making another an arahant."

[The available translation can be found here for comparison: http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pit ... ggo-e.html]

EA 26:
「四施為人同心。何等為四?一為布施,二為相愛,三為利,四為同利。第一說布施為何等?無極布施不過於法。第二相愛,不過於數,聞經亦開意。第三利不過不信令信,教人上,不持戒者令持戒,不學者令學,慳者令布施,愚者令黠,牽出入正道。第四同利,極同利無有過阿羅漢,阿那含、斯陀含、須陀洹亦爾,持戒者同利。」
[About the same meaning as the above]

I wonder how Ven. Bodhi translated samānattatānaṃ in AN 9.5.

Metta to all! :anjali:
mikenz66

Re: The translation of samānattatānaṃ in AN 9.5

Post by mikenz66 »

Bhikkhu Bodhi: 
... The power of wisdom, the power of energy, the power of blamelessness, and the power of sustaining a favorable relationship. ..
(4) “And what is the power of sustaining a favorable relationship? There are these four means of sustaining a favorable relationship: giving, endearing speech, beneficent conduct, and impartiality. Among gifts, the best is the gift of the Dhamma. Among types of endearing speech, the best is repeatedly teaching the Dhamma to one who is interested in it and listens with eager ears. Among types of beneficent conduct, the best is when one encourages, settles, and establishes a person without faith in the accomplishment of faith, an immoral person in the accomplishment of virtuous behavior, a miserly person in the accomplishment of generosity, and an unwise person in the accomplishment of wisdom. Among types of impartiality, the best is that a stream-enterer is equal to a stream-enterer, a once-returner is equal to a once-returner, a non-returner is equal to a non-returner, and an arahant is equal to an arahant.[1843] This is called the power of sustaining a favorable relationship.
  • 1843 The explanation of “impartiality” given here may be puzzling. Samānattatā is a compound of “equal” (samāna) and “oneself” (attan). As applied to conduct, it means treating others as one would have them treat oneself, without bias or partiality. Here the word is being used to express the equality between those at the four levels of awakening, all with himself or herself.
:anjali:
Mike
starter

Post by starter »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the helpful input. Knowing now that "Samānattatā is a compound of “equal” (samāna) and “oneself” (attan)", and considering the context of this teaching and the other teachings concerning community living, it seems to me that "share equally with others" makes much more sense than "treating others impartially".

I don't see the point of the following translation:

"Among types of impartiality, the best is that a stream-enterer is equal to a stream-enterer, a once-returner is equal to a once-returner, a non-returner is equal to a non-returner, and an arahant is equal to an arahant."

:tongue: :anjali:
starter

Post by starter »

Greetings!

Just to add some relevant information I found on samānattatānaṃ:

The Lalita, vistara parallel is samānârthatās [samāna (“equality”) + artha (“benefit, purpose”) + tā (“-ness”)].

The Sanskrit texts have samāna, sukha, duḥkatā, “share equally in joy and in sorrow”).

Both support the Chinese agama rendering of samānattatānaṃ.

It might be better to translate "saṅgāhabalaṃ" as "power of camaraderie".

Your input would be appreciated.

Metta to all!

:anjali: