THE THREEFOLD PRIDE (MEMORIES OF YOUTH)

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

(ANGUTTARA-NIKAYA, Vol.1, p. 145)

“I was tenderly cared for, monks, supremely so, infinitely so. At my father’s home lotus-pools were made for me; in one place for the blue lotus-flowers, in one place for white lotus-flowers and in one place for red lotus-flowers; blossoming for my sake. And, monks, I used only unguents from Benares. Of Benares fabric were my three robes. Day and night a white umbrella was held over me, so that I might not be troubled by cold, heat, dust, chaff, or dew. I dwelt in three palaces, monks; in one for the cold, in one for the summer, and in one for the rainy season.”
“When in the palace for the rainy season, surrounded during the four months by female musicians, I did not go down from the palace.”
“And, monks, while in another’s dwellings only a dish of red rice and rice soup would be offered to the servants and slaves, in my father’s house not only rice but a dish with rice and meat was given to the servants and slaves.”
“Endowed, monks, with such wealth, being nurtured with such delicacy. there came this thought: “Verily the unenlightened wordling himself subject to old age, without escape from old age, when he sees another grown old, is oppressed, beset and sickened. I too am subject to old age and cannot escape from it. If I, who am subject to old age and without escape from it, should see another one who is grown old, and should be oppressed, beset, and sickened, it would not be well with me. While I thought thus, monks, all pride of youth left me.”
“Verily the unenlightened wordling himself subject to sickness without escape from sickness, when he sees another sick, is oppressed, beset, and sickened. I too am subject to sickness without escape from it. If I, who am subject to sickness without escape from it, should see another one who is sick, and should be oppressed, beset and sickened, it would not be well with me.”
“While I thought thus, monks, all pride in health left me.”
Verily the unenlightened worlding himself subject to death without escape from it, when he sees another dead, is oppressed, beset, and sickened. I too am subject to death, and cannot escape it. If I, who am subject to death without escape it, should see another one who is dead and should be oppressed, beset, sickened, it would not be well with me.”
“While I thought thus, monks, all pride in life left me.”

(out of: “The life of Gotama the Buddha”, by E.H. Brewster, compiled exclusively from the Pali-Canon)
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
mikenz66

Re: THE THREEFOLD PRIDE (MEMORIES OF YOUTH)

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Hanzze,

See also this translation: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike