Nivarana - the Box of Desires

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Dhammanando

Nivarana - the Box of Desires

Post by Dhammanando »

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Bundokji

Re: Nivarana - the Box of Desires

Post by Bundokji »

Nice movie :smile:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
peterve

Post by peterve »

How good is the movie?
Can you give a short explanation on the movie?
spam link removed by admin
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

This is a very innovative film made in Myanmar and produced with local kids as the actors, and on a very low budget by Isi Dhamma, a french Buddhist living in the country.

It tells the story of Susu, a poor beggar girl who loves to dance, and who goes through many adventures before discovering the truth about life and death.

The film is set in Mandalay and plays out against the rich cultural setting of the city, where Susu begs, later works and falls in love.

The child actors throughout are amazingly good at their roles, and the film, besides telling an engaging story, also has a deep message for people.

There is plenty of Dhamma in the film, from meditation to reflections about life, and it forms the intellectual background to the film as much as Mandalay forms the physical backdrop.

— Ven. Ānandajoti
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I watched the whole movie as this is related to Dhamma.

The plight of the child slaves is real and nobody seems to care.
They do not have a voice!
Even if a street child become a rich person he/she will quickly forget their roots! (as in the film)
A cage chicken in a Western country get more sympathy than a street kid in an undeveloped country.
In Sri Lanka many thousands children are kept as slaves at homes. Many of them are under age of eight years old.
The slave children trade still well and alive.
It seems to be very profitable.

:(
Is it a good idea to give money to a begging Child in the street?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote:Is it a good idea to give money to a begging Child in the street?
By giving to the child himself one probably won't accomplish anything more than the short-term benefit of saving him from getting a beating that day from his master. For the long-term benefit it's a better idea to donate to one of the rescue foundations that will take these children off the street and provide them with an education and vocational training.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Do you know any good rescue foundation?
Does any of this forum have a first hand experience with charity work.
In my experience I have never seen any of these charitable organisation doing any service in places like Sri Lanka.
My understanding is charitable organisations spent most of their money on administration.
By the way I help Buddhist global relief.
:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
peterve

Post by peterve »

Dhammanando wrote:
This is a very innovative film made in Myanmar and produced with local kids as the actors, and on a very low budget by Isi Dhamma, a french Buddhist living in the country.

It tells the story of Susu, a poor beggar girl who loves to dance, and who goes through many adventures before discovering the truth about life and death.

The film is set in Mandalay and plays out against the rich cultural setting of the city, where Susu begs, later works and falls in love.

The child actors throughout are amazingly good at their roles, and the film, besides telling an engaging story, also has a deep message for people.

There is plenty of Dhamma in the film, from meditation to reflections about life, and it forms the intellectual background to the film as much as Mandalay forms the physical backdrop.

— Ven. Ānandajoti
I watched it half and I liked it.
But it was more focused on the main leading character.
But I like the scene when she was eating in the restaurant.
:namaste:
spam link removed by admin
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote:Do you know any good rescue foundation?
I'm afraid I don't know what's available in Sri Lanka. A good one in Thailand is Alezandra Russell’s Chiang Mai-based Urban Light Foundation: “... a grassroots organization dedicated to rebuilding, restoring and empowering the lives of boys who are victims of trafficking & exploitation.”

http://www.urban-light.org

https://www.facebook.com/bethelightUL

Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Opanayiko

Post by Opanayiko »

Nivarana - A Box of Desires is a good story with underlying themes and lessons of Dhamma. I recommend it to anyone. Better watch this than any Hollywood movie. Please watch it to support isi Dhamma so he can see the spread of his hard work.

Another very good Dhamma themed movie is 'The Great Legacy'. The story is particularly based on the benefits of meditation and the development of the Paramis. Not to mention the actors will touch your heart after learning the main actor became a nun in real-life during the filming of this movie.

http://dharma-documentaries.net/the-great-legacy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you to Tiltbillings for starting this thread http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=23677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And thank you to Anandajoti for making that website.
:anjali: Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Saṁbuddhassa :anjali:

By oneself is evil done,
by oneself defiled,
by oneself it’s left undone,
by self alone one purified.
Purity, impurity on oneself depend,
no one can purify another.
-Dp 165