The Ten Fetters of Buddhism

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.

The Ten Fetters of Buddhism

Postby Kusala » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:04 am

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Re: The Ten Fetters of Buddhism

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:30 am

Greetings,

5. Patigha, also vyapada, The literal meaning of this term is "to hit against," but it is often translated into English as "ill-will or hatred."

That's really interesting - thanks!

I wonder if that's connected to where the Buddha said he did not fight with the world, but the world fought with him.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Dhammic Stories