Sankha And Susima

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
yawares

Sankha And Susima

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

This Father's day, I have a very nice father story to share as a gift to you all.

Oh My Papa : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdIgNcv4c0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daddy : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOUBWphU ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sankha And Susima
[Translated from the Pali by Daw Mya Tin,MA]

Once the Buddha returned to Rajagaha accompanied by King Bimbisara. They arrived at Rajagaha on the fifth day. Two days after their arrival at Rajagaha, while the bhikkhus were talking about the amazing grandeur and glory of the trip to and from Vesali, the Buddha arrived on the scene. On learning the subject of their talk, the Buddha said to them, "Bhikkhus, that I have been revered so much by brahmas, devas and human beings alike and that they have made offerings on such a grand and lavish scale to me on this occasion is not due to the power I now possess; it is simply because I had done some small meritorious deeds in one of my previous existences that I now enjoy such great benefits". Then the Buddha related the story of one of his past existences, when he was a brahmin by the name of Sankha.

Once there was a brahmin named Sankha who lived in the city of Taxila. He had a son named Susima. When Susima was sixteen years old, he was sent by his father to another brahmin to study astrology. His teacher taught him all that should be learnt, but Susima was not fully satisfied. So, his teacher directed him to approach the paccekabuddhas who were then staying in Isipatana. Susima went to Isipatana, but the paccekabuddhas told him that he must first become a bhikkhu. Thus, he became a bhikkhu, and was instructed how to conduct himself as a bhikkhu. Susima diligently practised meditation and he soon comprehended the Four Noble Truths, acquired Bodhi nana, and became a paccekabuddha himself. But as a result of his previous kamma Susima did not live long; he realized parinibbana soon afterwards.

Sankha, the father of Susima, came in search of his son, but when he arrived he only found the stupa where the relics of his son were enshrined. The brahmin felt very much distressed at the loss of his son. He proceeded to clean up the precincts of the stupa, by clearing away grass and weeds; then he covered up the ground with sand and sprinkled it with water. Next, he went into the nearby woods for some wild flowers and stuck them on the wet ground. In that way, he offered his services and paid respect to the paccekabuddha who was once his son. It was because of that good deed done in that previous existence of his that the Buddha gained such benefits, that he was showered with such lavish offerings, that he was shown such deep reverence and great devotion on that particular occasion.

Then the Buddha spoke in verse as follows:

Verse 290: If by giving up small pleasures great happiness is to be found, the wise should give up small pleasures seeing (the prospect of) great happiness.

Love Buddha's dhamma,
yawares/sirikanya :heart: