The Perfection of Charity

Post sayings and stories you find interesting or useful.
Bhikkhu Pesala

The Perfection of Charity

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

An inspiring story from Taiwan.
Mrs Chen wrote:I don't see money as being that important. After all, you can't bring it with you when you start a new life and you can't take it with you when you leave this life.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cooran

Re: The Perfection of Charity

Post by cooran »

Very inspiring.

With metta,
:smile: Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

Money is stored potentiality. It remains stored potentiality until you or someone else use it. Many people never put it to good use.
This lady is making sure that the value of her money is unlocked so that she and others benefit from it.

"I feel very happy after donating money. I feel like I've done something right. It's a feeling that comes from the inside. It makes me so happy that I smile when I go to bed."

An inspiring person indeed.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Very inspiring story.
:anjali:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

Lovely story, thanks for sharing it.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Excellent story, thank you for sharing. What a wonderful person.

Given her early experiences, it's amazing she chose this path. I think many of us, were we in her shoes, would try to accumulate money for financial security so such tragedies wouldn't happen to us or our families.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
robdog

Post by robdog »

What an amazing story and what an amazing lady!
jagodage

Post by jagodage »

Very inspiring

She is most probably on her way to complete Dana Paramita.She also can easily develop concept of " Letting Go".She also can develop another Parami,Naiscrammya.That include ability leave behind all worldly belongs.

Thanks for sharing a such a deed.

With Metta
:anjali:
Digity

Post by Digity »

Pretty amazing story. Imagine her behaviour was the norm...we'd live in a totally different world.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Give wealth in the right ways and benefit in many ways.
A Superior Person's Gifts

"There are, O monks, these five gifts of a superior person. What five?
"He gives a gift out of faith; he gives a gift respectfully; he gives a gift at the right time; he gives a gift with a generous heart; he gives a gift without denigration.

"Because he gives a gift out of faith, wherever the result of that gift ripens he becomes rich, affluent, and wealthy, and he is handsome, comely, graceful, endowed with supreme beauty of complexion.
"Because he gives a gift respectfully, wherever the result of that gift ripens he becomes rich, affluent, and wealthy, and his children and wives, his slaves, messengers, and workers are obedient, lend their ears to him, and apply their minds to understand him.
"Because he gives a gift at the right time, wherever the result of that gift ripens he becomes rich, affluent, and wealthy, and benefits come to him at the right time, in abundant measure.
"Because he gives a gift with a generous heart, wherever the result of that gift ripens he becomes rich, affluent, and wealthy, and his mind inclines to the enjoyment of excellent things among the five cords of sensual pleasure.
"Because he gives a gift without denigrating himself and others, wherever the result of that gift ripens he becomes rich, affluent, and wealthy, and no loss of his wealth takes place from any quarter, whether from fire, floods, the king, bandits, or unloved heirs.
"These, monks, are the five gifts of a superior person."
[AN 5:148; III 172-73]
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.