Four levels of manifestation of consciousness?

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Four levels of manifestation of consciousness?

Postby bodom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:18 pm

In John Ross Carters Dhammapada translation there is a note from the commentary (Dhammapada-attakatha) for verse 1 and it reads:

"Perception" signifies consciousness in all the four levels (of manifestation) that is, in its divisions, such as wholesome consciousness pertaining to the sensuous sphere of existence (kamavacara - kusala - citta).

What are the four levels of manifestation of consciousness and what do they pertain to?
-
:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Four levels of manifestation of consciousness?

Postby bodom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:31 pm

Well i found this online:

Abhidhamma And Practice
By Nina van Gorkom

Citta is the first of the four types of paramattha dhammas. It is also the fifth group of aggregates. The word ‘citta’ is derived from the root ‘cit’, to think. Citta is that which is the chief in experiencing an object. There are many different types of citta. They are divided four ways according to whether it is –

1. consciousness pertaining to the sense sphere (kamavacara citta),
2. consciousness pertaining to the form sphere (rupavacara citta),
3. consciousness pertaining to the formless sphere (arupavacara citta),
4. supramundane consciousness (lokuttara citta).

The four categories of consciousness are classified according to whether they are wholesome or skillful (kusala citta), unwholesome or unskilful (akusala citta), the result of deeds (kamma) in the past (vipaka citta) or neutral consciousness with on effect (kiriya citta).

http://www.dhammastudy.com/abhid-pract.html

So i guess that explains that.

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to Classical Theravāda