The Ethics of Non Action (Classical Theravada version)

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Bankei

The Ethics of Non Action (Classical Theravada version)

Post by Bankei »

Hi

I am wondering if there is any concept of Karmic consequences of not doing something.

eg. You see someone drowning and don't save them.

In this situation would you have an intention to left them suffer. Kamma = Intention.

What do you think?

Bankei
Last edited by Bankei on Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------
Bankei
Ben

Re: The Ethics of Not Action

Post by Ben »

Hi Bankei

Unfortunately, I do not have the majority of my texts with me to help you with this problem.

Morally there seems to be very little difference, if any, between acting and passively standing by to allow an event to unfold to effect a desired result.

Just a few quotes...
"In which four ways does one commit no evil action? Led by desire does one commit evil. Led by anger does one commit evil. Led by ignorance does one commit evil. Led by fear does one commit evil.
-- DN 31 Sigalovada Sutta
Righteous conduct is the observance of the ten good actions (kusalákammapatha) in thought, word and deed: freeing the mind of greed, ill-will and wrong views; avoiding speech that is untruthful, slanderous, abusive and frivolous; and the non- committal acts of killing, stealing and sexual misconduct.
-- Everyman's Ethics: Four Discourses of the Buddha adapted from the translations of Narada Thera: http://www.bps.lk/wheels_library/wheels_pdf/wh_014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The person who 'passively' allows something immoral to happen, is actually led by the akusala thoughts of desire, anger, ignorance and fear, and attracts the consequent vipaka as a result.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kc2dpt

Re: The Ethics of Non Action

Post by kc2dpt »

I can't recall coming across anything in the texts which points to non-action as unwholesome.
On the other hand, various abstinences are taught to be wholesome. :shrug:
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thanks Jechbi and Peter.

Its time like these I wish I had my Dhamma books. In particular my copy of Ven Bodhi's translation of the Majjhima, A comprehensive manual of the Abhidhamma and the Vissudhimagga. I think they could shine some light on this issue.

My reasoning above is based on the Upali Sutta (?) in the Majjhima Nikaya where the Buddha refutes the doctrine of the Jains who held that the 'physical rod' to be the root of kamma. The Buddha, in the Upali Sutta and elsewhere, asserted that it was the 'mental rod', to use the expression favoured by the Jains, as kammically most potent. Perhaps it was an error of my interpretation to then jump to say that inaction, particularly when the result coincided with the unwholesome roots of desire, aversion or ignorance, were not kammically neutral.

Hi Jechbi
From memory, ahetu-apaccayavada maybe treated in Ledi Sayadaw's Manual of Conditionality and perhaps also in the Compendium of Conditionality in Venerable Bodhi's A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma.
Kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Hi

I personally would find it hard to justify non action if someone was suffering in front of me.

The reason I ask this question is that I had been reading some writings by Peter Singer who is a modern philosopher. He argues that it is also unjustifiable to not help someone who you can see suffering. But he takes things further.
e.g. there are people starving right now in many places of the world.
e.g. There are people dying because they can't afford medicine etc.

Do we have a moral obligation to help these people (even though they may be located far away)?

Could there be any karmic affects of not helping them - there is no real conscious decision as there would be with watching someone drown in front of you. Most people would not give a moments thought to these issues, so how could there be Karma?

Bankei
Last edited by retrofuturist on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited on account of duplication of thread to Classical AND General
-----------------------
Bankei
Annapurna

Re: The Ethics of Non Action (Classical Theravada version)

Post by Annapurna »

I posted a reply here.

It is gone, without a notification as to why.

Why?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Annabel,

All posts not relevant to the Classical Mahavihara Theravada position have been moved to the General Theravada version of this thread to be found at http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . If you have not done so, please read the recently updated guidelines specific to the Classical Mahavihara Theravada section here: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posts not even relevant to the Theravada perspective have been removed in accordance with the Terms of Service: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now...

:focus:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

According to the Pali Vinaya, a bhikkhu incurs no fault when he lets someone drown. As the rule is defined, one has to make some active effort to commit an offence. That is how the Vinaya structure is made, usually it works well but in some cases (such as this one) if does not quite make sense.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Perhaps to understand why inaction would not create karma...

What we might do in the course of a day is finite.
What we might not do in the course of a day is infinite.

For each day the Buddha sought out someone to help there were countless beings he did not try to help.
Conversely, even if I harm one person every day there are countless beings I'm not harming every day.

I suspect a good answer to the question is to be found in the Abhidhamma. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Abhidhamma.
- Peter

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,
Peter wrote:I suspect a good answer to the question is to be found in the Abhidhamma. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Abhidhamma.
Yes, and in the suttas. In both situations it's the volitional quality of the mindstate (wholesome/unwholesome) at the time that determines the kammic quality... not the physical action (or non-action) itself.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

gavesako wrote:According to the Pali Vinaya, a bhikkhu incurs no fault when he lets someone drown. As the rule is defined, one has to make some active effort to commit an offence. That is how the Vinaya structure is made, usually it works well but in some cases (such as this one) if does not quite make sense.
I wonder if you could fill this out a little Bhante? If the spectator of the drowning one would like to help, but cannot swim or swim well enough, then I can understand no bad vipaka. But suppose the spectator is gleefully wishing on the drowning or as has actually happened, a crowd cheers on a stranger who is thinking of jumping off a building to his death. In those latter cases, would not the intent or will of the sociopath(s) qualify as "some active effort", even if it is mental or verbal effort and not physical?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
gavesako

Post by gavesako »

Well, the Vinaya only deals with the legal aspect of the situation (i.e. whether he would incur an offence according to the Vinaya) and not with the skilful or unskilful action itself -- that is more in the area of Dhamma.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

Correct me if I'm wrong, Bhante, but I would guess the Vinaya only deals with speech and action, not thoughts.
- Peter

kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

retrofuturist wrote:it's the volitional quality of the mindstate (wholesome/unwholesome) at the time that determines the kammic quality... not the physical action (or non-action) itself.
Certainly I agree with this. Still I don't think this addresses the original poster's question. All we can conclude from this is that some instances of abstaining will be unwholesome and some will be wholesome. But I think there's a slightly more specific question being asked. Given:

The suttas teach certain actions to always be unwholesome, such as intentional killing.
The suttas also teach it is the underlying mind-state which makes an action unwholesome, such as greed, hate, or delusion.
Thus we can conclude that certain actions (such as intentional killing) will always be based in an unwholesome mind-state (such as hate).
Furthermore, we can easily imagine that one might abstain from an action based in an unwholesome mind-state. I might refrain from jumping in to rescue my drowning enemy and I might refrain from finding someone else to help him because I wish to see him drown. Clearly there's some unwholesomeness going on in this scenario.

From all this we might ask the following question:

Just as certain actions are understood to always be unwholesome...
and just as certain abstinences are understood to always be wholesome (abstaining from killing)...
are certain abstinences understood to always be unwholesome?
- Peter

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Peter,
Peter wrote:Just as certain actions are understood to always be unwholesome...
Are they? Or is it just that the mindstates that underpin such actions are nearly always unwholesome?

Metta,