Help finding a specific sutta!

A forum for members who wish to develop a deeper understanding of the Pali Canon and associated Commentaries, which for discussion purposes are both treated as authoritative.

Moderator: Mahavihara moderator

Help finding a specific sutta!

Postby Individual » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:35 pm

There's a certain sutta (the Buddha may have said this more than once, though) where the Buddha says that in order to validate a claim made about him, the monks should compare the claim both with the text of the discourses and the discipline they follow.

I know I saw this before, but I can't find it. Does anyone know where it might be?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Re: Help finding a specific sutta!

Postby Dhammanando » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi Individual,

If you mean this passage:

Suppose a monk were to say: "Friends, I heard and received this from the Lord's own lips: this is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Master's teaching", then, monks, you should neither approve nor disapprove his words. Then, without approving or disapproving, his words and expressions should be carefully noted and compared with the Suttas and reviewed in the light of the Vinaya. If they, on such comparison and review, are found not to conform to the Suttas or the Vinaya, the conclusion must be: "Assuredly this is not the word of the Buddha, it has been wrongly understood by this monk", and the matter is to be rejected. But where on such comparison and review they are found to conform to the Suttas or the Vinaya, the conclusion must be: "Assuredly this is the word of the Buddha, it has been rightly understood by this monk." This is the first criterion.

it's from the Mahaparinibbana Sutta (DN. 16).

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu
    ...and this thought arose in the mind of the Blessed One:
    “Who lives without reverence lives miserably.”
    Uruvela Sutta, A.ii.20

It were endless to dispute upon everything that is disputable.
    — William Penn Some Fruits of Solitude,
Dhammanando

Re: Help finding a specific sutta!

Postby Individual » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:48 am

Dhammanando wrote:Hi Individual,

If you mean this passage:

Suppose a monk were to say: "Friends, I heard and received this from the Lord's own lips: this is the Dhamma, this is the Vinaya, this is the Master's teaching", then, monks, you should neither approve nor disapprove his words. Then, without approving or disapproving, his words and expressions should be carefully noted and compared with the Suttas and reviewed in the light of the Vinaya. If they, on such comparison and review, are found not to conform to the Suttas or the Vinaya, the conclusion must be: "Assuredly this is not the word of the Buddha, it has been wrongly understood by this monk", and the matter is to be rejected. But where on such comparison and review they are found to conform to the Suttas or the Vinaya, the conclusion must be: "Assuredly this is the word of the Buddha, it has been rightly understood by this monk." This is the first criterion.

it's from the Mahaparinibbana Sutta (DN. 16).

Best wishes,
Dhammanando Bhikkhu

Yes... I think that's it. Thank you. :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Return to Classical Theravāda