The Twelve Nidānas

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
Dawnbird

The Twelve Nidānas

Post by Dawnbird »

Reported in General Theravada discussion, to be deleted.
Last edited by Dawnbird on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Understanding is not the result of thinking. It is rather the result of the long process of direct awareness".
- Thich Nhat Hanh
vinasp

Re: The Twelve Nidānas

Post by vinasp »

Hi Dawnbird,

Welcome to DW!

Are you sure that you wish to use this section of the forum?

There are strict guidelines:

"The Abhidhamma and Classical Theravada sub-forums are specialized venues for the discussion of the Abhidhamma and the classical Mahavihara understanding of the Dhamma. Within these forums the Pali Tipitaka and its commentaries are for discussion purposes treated as authoritative.... "

"Posts that contain personal opinions and conjecture, ....... are all regarded as off-topic, and as such, will be subject to moderator review and/or removal."

Regards, Vincent.
Dawnbird

Post by Dawnbird »

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your protection of the digital sanctity of the subforum :smile:

I was under the impression that since I was searching for elucidation on an inherently commentarial understanding of the 12 Nidanas, this was the correct placement, but if another placement is preferable, that's fine with me.

Concerning "personal opinions", that's not what my aim is, I'm simply trying to engage with others uncovering the original, intended meaning of the list. If imperfect speculation is required as a starting point, so be it, but the aim is the truth :)

Anyhow, wonderful to meet you (digitally), and feel free to do whatever makes you happy, sorting wise! If reposting's necessary, just let me know.
"Understanding is not the result of thinking. It is rather the result of the long process of direct awareness".
- Thich Nhat Hanh
vinasp

Post by vinasp »

Hi Dawnbird,

I am not a moderator, so if you wish to start again in another section then you will need to contact a moderator.

I can, if you wish, start a new thread, and repost your text as part of my first post.

You say: - "... An inherently commentarial understanding of the twelve ..", but the commentators most frequently use the 'three lifetimes interpretation', which you seem to be avoiding.

Another problem is that most of us do not have access to the commentaries and are not familiar with them (apart from Bhikkhu Bodhi's notes.).

That is, perhaps, why this section is not used much.

Perhaps a moderator can tell us how best to proceed.

Regards, Vincent.
Dawnbird

Post by Dawnbird »

Not wanting to get bogged down in this, I just reposted in the general discussion. This thread can get deleted whenever a mod sees fit.

Thanks again for directing me away from any issues, 'oh friendly guardian of the subforums.
- Thich Nhat Hanh