searching for a sutta

Exploring the Dhamma, as understood from the perspective of the ancient Pali commentaries.
cittasubha

searching for a sutta

Post by cittasubha »

Hoping I can get help finding a sutta I remember only vaguely. Here's how I think it went: two people are gathering something, I think maybe sticks or firewood, and they find a good source and load up. As they continue along they keep finding 'better' items (maybe linen, silver, gold, but I could be wrong on these details). One of them continues to hold on to what he first picked up and passes up the other items. The other puts down the previous find each time and picks up the new find. I also don't remember if it was just a tiny portion of a much bigger sutta or if this story was the primary focus of the sutta. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Zom

Re: searching for a sutta

Post by Zom »

There is no such sutta. Maybe this is some jataka tale (I do not know them well). Or - this can be some mahayana text.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Zom wrote:There is no such sutta.
You spoke too soon. ;)
DN 23 wrote:‘Even though Master Kassapa says this, I still cannot bring myself to renounce this evil set of opinions. King Pasenadi the Kosalan knows me, and so do foreign kings, as holding to the creed and the opinion that there is neither another world, nor rebirth other than of parents, nor fruit or result of deeds well or ill-done. If I, Master Kassapa, renounce these opinions, people will say: “How silly is Prince Pāyāsi, how unintelligent, how bad is his grasp of things!’ In wrath thereat will I keep to it. In guile will I keep to it. In self-respect will I keep to it.’

‘Well then, Prince, I will give you a simile, for it is by way of a simile that some intelligent men discern the meaning of what is said. Once upon a time, Prince, a certain country-side migrated. And one man said to his crony—“Let’s go friend, to that country-side; perhaps we may come upon some treasure.” “Good, friend,” assented the other. And they came to where, in that country-side, there was a certain village street. There they saw a heap of hemp thrown away. Then one said to the other: “Here’s a heap of hemp: do you make some into a bundle, I’ll do the same and we’ll carry it away.” The other consented, and they did so.

‘Bearing this burden they went on to another village street. There they saw a heap of hempen thread thrown away, and one said to the other—“This heap of hempen thread thrown away is just the thing we want hemp for. Well then, friend, you throw away your load of hemp, I’ll throw away mine, and we’ll take away each a load of hempen thread.” “I’ve brought this load of hemp a long way, friend, and it’s well tied up—that’s enough for me; you choose for yourself.” So the former changed his load for one of hempen thread.

Then they came to another village street. There they saw a heap of hempen cloths. And the one said to the other—“This heap of hempen cloths is just the thing we want hemp for, or hempen thread for. Well then, friend, do you throw away your load of hemp, I’ll throw away my load of hempen thread, and we’ll each take a load of hempen cloth.” “I’ve brought this load of hemp a long way, friend, and it’s well tied up—that’s enough for me; you choose for yourself.” So the former changed his load for one of hempen cloth.

‘Then they came to another village street. There they saw a heap of flax; and to another where they saw linen thread; and to another where they saw linen cloth. And at each place the one crony made a change for the better, the other retained his hemp. Further they saw cotton-down, cotton thread and calico; and the same thing happened. Further they saw iron, copper, tin, lead, silver, gold. So that in the end the one crony had a load of gold, the other of hemp.

‘So they came to their own village. There the crony who brought a load of hemp pleased neither his parents, nor his own family, nor his friends, and won neither pleasure or happiness. But the other with his load of gold both gave and won pleasure.

‘Even like the simile of the load of hemp, methinks Prince, is what you say. Renounce, Prince, this evil set of opinions, renounce them, I say! Let them not be long a source of bale and sorrow to you.’

‘With Master Kassapa’s first simile I was pleased, I was charmed; moreover I wanted to hear his ready wit in questions, for I regarded Master Kassapa as one who was to be opposed. It is wonderful, Master Kassapa, it is marvellous! just as if one were to set up what has been upset, or were to reveal that which has been hidden away, or were to point out the road to the bewildered, or were to bring a lamp into the darkness, so that they that have eyes may see—even so has the truth been declared in many a figure by Master Kassapa. And I, even I, betake myself for refuge to Gotama the Exahed One, to the Doctrine and to the Brotherhood. May Master Kassapa accept me as a disciple, as one who from this day forth as long as life endures, has taken him as his guide. And I should like, Master Kassapa, to offer a great sacrifice. Let Master Kassapa instruct me herein that it may bring me long welfare and happiness.’
That's the excerpt from DN 23. There are more similes before this one in the sutta, as the excerpt indicates.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Zom

Post by Zom »

Hm, indeed :reading:

I should admit I do not know well later Digha suttas well (all english translations I read are quite poor in comparison with Bodhi's or Thanissaro's) 8-)
In Russian we have wonderful pali-russian translation, but first part only.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I think MOC Walshe's is pretty good. It's probably the best full translation available now. It's almost 20 years old though, so perhaps it's time for a new translation...

No, I'm not looking at you, Sylvester. :thinking: :tongue:
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Translate it into Russian as punishment for not knowing it existed. :reading:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Zom

Post by Zom »

Nah, I do not like Walshe version ;-/
perkele

Post by perkele »

There's another version, done by Piya Tan, along with an elaborate exposition on it:
http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... 3-piya.pdf
Zom

Post by Zom »

Yes, this one is better. But I will wait for 4th Big Bodhi Publication (if, ofc, this will ever happen 8-) ). Thus all 4 major nikayas will share the same dictionary.
pulga

Post by pulga »

There are bits of the story translated in the Answer Key to Warder's Introduction to Pali.
"Dhammā=Ideas. This is the clue to much of the Buddha's teaching." ~ Ven. Ñanavira, Commonplace Book
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Zom wrote:Yes, this one is better. But I will wait for 4th Big Bodhi Publication (if, ofc, this will ever happen 8-) ). Thus all 4 major nikayas will share the same dictionary.
That would be awesome but I haven't heard anything about it being in the works. He seems to be busy with his charity, Buddhist Global Relief.
Zom

Post by Zom »

That would be awesome but I haven't heard anything about it being in the works. He seems to be busy with his charity, Buddhist Global Relief.
I think he does understand that his "life work" is unfinished with the absense of Digha Part. And Digha, actually, is not that big. The only problem here, as I see it, is that Wisdom Publications already published Walshe version, and so, well... you see. However, I still believe there is a place for a newer translation (at least for the sake of the completeness).
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Zom wrote:
I think he does understand that his "life work" is unfinished with the absense of Digha Part.
Ya, that's how I'd feel if I were him.
And Digha, actually, is not that big. The only problem here, as I see it, is that Wisdom Publications already published Walshe version, and so, well... you see.
Good points.
However, I still believe there is a place for a newer translation (at least for the sake of the completeness).
Agreed. Whatever he decides to do, I'm sure it will benefit a lot of people. :smile: